The Geek Forum

• May 08, 2024, 01:56:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129618
  • Total Topics: 7184
  • Online Today: 129
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Bill O' Who?  (Read 8956 times)

12AX7

Re: Bill O' Who?
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2009, 02:03:27 PM »

HAHA! Sarcasm from Canadia. Land of . . .  syrup. And moose.

I never said we havent done anything nefarious, but who puts the most money in the UN? I *NEVER* hear Brits apologizing for South Africa, India, the US, even... nor do I hear any apologies from Russia, Germany, France (she was a power once), ...or ANY OTHER nation for past transgressions. So why is it imperative that *WE* apologize every few weeks? What is so different about the US from , say, Cananda that the US has to apologize every so often? So the Canadians can insult us about it and feel big, too?

12AX7

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2009, 02:06:35 PM »

This is a website for geeks: surely there has to be someone here with enough math skill to generate a "National Worth" index that quantifies all the contributions that nation has made to the world. How much is human life worth again? Does potential count? How many children dying in a war is undone by the invention of TIVO?
  Ah. Well, since Canada hasn't really done anything, I guess you don't have to worry about it, then, huh?

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2009, 02:07:57 PM »

Sarcasm was outlawed here 14 years ago so I hope you appreciate these criminal posts for your amusement.

As far as apologizing is concerned, did I miss an announcement or something?

Ah. Well, since Canada hasn't really done anything, I guess you don't have to worry about it, then, huh?

No, I'm just going to wait until it's done and then point out the problems with it.

12AX7

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2009, 02:08:41 PM »

Now I see why you have such a big fucking mouth on these subjects; so we dont forget about you guys up there.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2009, 02:09:49 PM »

I do spend an awful lot of time watching the 24-hour "Has the US Mentioned Canada Today?" network

12AX7

« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2009, 02:11:05 PM »

Really. And here I thought it was you reading threads here and needling me about it on  purpose for no real fucking reason.

hackhelios

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +8/-4
  • Weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2009, 02:12:39 PM »

So I went surfing for some over-the-top "USA! USA!" websites, but instead I found this ironic gem:

http://www.usabest.co.uk/

The best America has to offer, sold by the nation you trust.

I think the ability to admit fault is a strength, not a weakness--especially when you can back up that strength with a military like ours.  I will say this, though--we royally f'ed up in Iraq.  Our primary reason for going in turned out to be a pipe dream.  Sure, Iraqis may be cheering for us in the streets, but the happiness of foreign children has never influenced our foreign policy as much as the promise of oil.  We didn't go in to save Iraqis.  We went in on half-cocked intelligence and poor planning.  We made a mistake, and I was raised to own up.

Now.  Having said that--America is far, far better off in our current political situation than we have been in some time.  We're ending wars instead of starting them.  We're looking after our own in terms of employment and health care.  And we're finally, FINALLY taking steps to protect the planet that (let's face it) we don't have the technology to vacate yet.  I'm as proud of America today as I've ever been--and for that, I offer no apology.

Conceited.  Self-centered.  Republican.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2009, 02:15:28 PM »

Really. And here I thought it was you reading threads here and needling me about it on  purpose for no real fucking reason.

I'm trying to make sure you don't forget about Canada's many contributions to online discussion.

(also it was a commercial break)

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2009, 02:16:21 PM »

And let's not forget about Martin Short, either.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

12AX7

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2009, 02:19:20 PM »

So I went surfing for some over-the-top "USA! USA!" websites, but instead I found this ironic gem:

http://www.usabest.co.uk/

The best America has to offer, sold by the nation you trust.

I think the ability to admit fault is a strength, not a weakness--especially when you can back up that strength with a military like ours.  I will say this, though--we royally f'ed up in Iraq.  Our primary reason for going in turned out to be a pipe dream.  Sure, Iraqis may be cheering for us in the streets, but the happiness of foreign children has never influenced our foreign policy as much as the promise of oil.  We didn't go in to save Iraqis.  We went in on half-cocked intelligence and poor planning.  We made a mistake, and I was raised to own up.

Now.  Having said that--America is far, far better off in our current political situation than we have been in some time.  We're ending wars instead of starting them.  We're looking after our own in terms of employment and health care.  And we're finally, FINALLY taking steps to protect the planet that (let's face it) we don't have the technology to vacate yet.  I'm as proud of America today as I've ever been--and for that, I offer no apology.

In case you haven't noticed the REST of history, nearly EVERY NATION has fucked up at some time or another; and done some dirty deeds. The same as if 20 people were in a room. Everyone has a "past". The first person to annoy the hell out of everyone and garner NO respect is the one running around apologizing to everyone else simply for being. This is the same to me. No other country (or its people, such as our friendly Lacerda here) apologizes like Americans.

I dont know what your point was about Iraq. Is that what you were referring to 'making an ass" of ourselves?

hackhelios

• Annoying Newbie
  • Weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2009, 02:37:32 PM »

Hmm...sounds like just about anything is going to piss you off right now.  A smarter man would leave it alone.  However, as my mother has told many times, I have to be me.

If I read your argument correctly, you're saying the best course of action is to never apologize for anything.  I have to assume I'm misunderstanding you.

I get that other nations don't (seem to) apologize as much as we do.  What I'm saying is this: how other countries behave shouldn't influence how we decide to behave.  Yes, Iraq was us making an ass of ourselves and we should have apologized to the world.  Why?  Because we WENT to the world and said "Hey, I want to attack Iraq because I think there are WMDs there.  Whadaya think?"  The UN replied "Bad idea boss."  We threw a temper tantrum and said "Whatever, we're going in."  No WMDs.  Massive casualties.  Heightened tension in the Middle East, especially Iran.  It was a friggin' mistake.  Whether or not France would apologize in a similar situation is irrelevant. 

Here's another angle.  The President of the United States has his life examined on every level by hundreds of people.  If he smoked half a cigarette once, you can bet we're gonna see pictures of it.  This may seem invasive, but if he's going to lead a country this powerful, we're going to hold him to a higher standard.  If you think as highly of America as you say, don't you think America should be held to a higher standard too?  Shouldn't the "leader of the free world" behave in a manner befitting its rank?

Lemme clarify, because I can already hear the response coming.  Going to war is nothing to apologize for.  What happened in Iraq was much, much more than that (and that's a fact even before you consider the torture issue). 

Finally--apologies are not evil, or weak, or stupid, or annoying, or useless--if they're warranted.

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2009, 02:49:44 PM »

And let's not forget about Martin Short, either.

And their wonderful processed Canadian cheese that tastes just like processed American cheese.  Yum!
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

hackhelios

• Annoying Newbie
  • Weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2009, 02:54:23 PM »

Now you've got my attention.  Are there any native Canadian cheeses?

<-- huge cheese fiend

jeee

• Dork
  • Coolio Points: +189/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2009, 04:11:15 PM »

There are two things in this world that I simply cannot stand

1. People intolerant of other cultures.
2. The Dutch.

:w:

Of all people you should love our laws!

And 12, you are right, every country has fucked up at one point or another but to state that the US has done more good then any other is a bit too patriotic.
Simply because you achieved a lot but fucked up a lot of times. I think you have the same balance like most western European countries.
And based on my own opinion and experiences Americans tend to forget failure very easy, especially when it comes to warfare.

Now NOOB please don't derail this thread and don't turn it into a mud throwing festival, we have enough of those already.

hackhelios

• Annoying Newbie
  • Weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2009, 04:12:41 PM »

Won't happen again.  :lol:

/shamelesslies

Bringing it back on track, then...Bill O'Reilly is a media personality that I generally disagree with, though he's great Colbert material.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/168451/may-13-2008/bill-o-reilly-inside-edition?videoId=168451
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 04:28:13 PM by hackhelios »

12AX7

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2009, 02:29:19 AM »

And 12, you are right, every country has fucked up at one point or another but to state that the US has done more good then any other is a bit too patriotic.
  Has nothing to do with patriotism. Has more to do with our stash of cash, our military( which is used FAAAAR more to help people than fight wars, btw), our sense that personal freedoms belong to persons; not governments, and of course our actual liberties here; which we tend to try to bring with us everywhere we go and then leave them in place there.
   Im not saying no one else has done anything significant, they surely have; only that the US has MORE than paid her "fair share" for a loooong time.

And based on my own opinion and experiences Americans tend to forget failure very easy

We never forget, jeee. That's basically **ALL * WE * EVER * HEAR** - both from nearly every non-US citizen AND every other citizen. It never matters when the US does something good, or something distasteful that everybody wanted done but no one else could or would.

12AX7

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2009, 03:10:19 AM »

If I read your argument correctly, you're saying the best course of action is to never apologize for anything. 

And where did you come up with that, hmm? I said "never" somewhere? Seems like you could've done this argument without me.

if he's going to lead a country this powerful, we're going to hold him to a higher standard.  If you think as highly of America as you say, don't you think America should be held to a higher standard too?  Shouldn't the "leader of the free world" behave in a manner befitting its rank?
   So now you're saying we're better everyone else ? ? A "higher standard" eh? Now, see, THAT attitude on an international forum is something to apologize for.

Finally--apologies are not evil, or weak, or stupid, or annoying, or useless--if they're warranted.

Ok, so what, pray tell, warranted you coming into an entertainment thread about Bill O'Reilly and apologizing to the world for the US "making an ass of ourselves"?

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2009, 09:27:42 AM »

AMERIKKKA

Whatever happened to IceOwl anyways? I be he probably died of self-induced orgasm overload once Obama got elected.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

12AX7

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2009, 09:31:52 AM »

Whatever happened to IceOwl anyways? I be he probably died of self-induced orgasm overload once Obama got elected.
  Even though he was Canadian.
  I'm not sure, but I don't think he made the move from HN. 

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2009, 09:37:37 AM »

12, do you live in an area with a high student population or something? You make it sound as if this is a daily occurrence with people throwing burning flags at your house while engaging you in a debate about America's past wrongdoing.

The power of that orgasm led to his temporary hospitalization, but thankfully our shitty health care was there for him for his "Administration-induced Vas Deferens Damage."

My taxes paid for that!

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2009, 09:47:39 AM »

Even though he was Canadian.

That reminds me, tomorrow is Bacon Appreciation Day or some such nonsense, so I think I'll cook up some Canadian Bacon as a gesture of goodwill towards our bitter, northern neighbors.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

12AX7

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2009, 09:51:37 AM »

12, do you live in an area with a high student population or something? You make it sound as if this is a daily occurrence with people throwing burning flags at your house while engaging you in a debate about America's past wrongdoing.

Nope; I have people like you pipe up and start with it. And please stop pretending like it's so unheard of. You yourself couldn't WAIT to get in here and post on the matter. I could go back and find a multitude of threads demonstrating the same dynamic. Have your say; just don't act like "omg! nobody EVER says anything against the US, 12!! You're so jingoistic!!"

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2009, 10:05:44 AM »

Please define "people like [me]" so that I can properly understand where you're coming from by saying something like that.

Where did I pretend like anti-US sentiment was unheard of? I merely asked why you personally seem to get so worked up about it so easily. Last I checked this was supposed to be a comedy-themed forum for lighthearted discussion (at least outside of the political forum, which this thread is), so it's too bad you took offense to my offhand—and what I consider to be fairly obvious as a facetious—mockery of your assertion that the US does far more good for the world than THE REST OF EVERYONE COMBINED. After your response I just ran with it.

My arrival in this thread had nothing to do with my BURNING DESIRE to post about the way the world feels about the US, but rather it was the result of a vanity name search. pb name-dropped me so here I am.

Can I still have my say and also maintain that you're being really jingoistic?

12AX7

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2009, 10:10:09 AM »

Can I still have my say and also maintain that you're being really jingoistic?

So long as you continue to be hilarious doing it.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2009, 10:18:57 AM »

Cool, in that case I'll head down to the writer's room and pick up some related jokes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3