The Geek Forum

• April 28, 2024, 04:05:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129555
  • Total Topics: 7152
  • Online Today: 270
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: That's Life!  (Read 4544 times)

Anonymous

That's Life!
« on: May 06, 2003, 07:27:00 AM »

As I was getting ready to go to work this morning, I came to the conclusion that life after school really is lame. It was lame in school, but it really got worse in a very short period. I thought I had it rough when I was in high school or in university. Now that I look back, I realize those were the best years of my life. Yes, I may sound like your parents right now, but believe me, they were right on this one.

Being a kid was great. You had no responsibilities. Your only purpose in life was candies and games. In a sense, being a kid is like being a social parasite. You depended on other beings for your survival, used up much of their resources and didn't really do anything productive.

Then you get to high school and discover the wonders of peer pressure. Now, this is the first sign of some form of duty. In order to be cool, you had to be different, but in order to be different, you all had to be the same. Illogical? Yes. But still very cool. Then you had to be the center of attention. That was easy! You've done that all your life as a kid. You just had to turn it up a little and compete with your fellow classmates. Often, the teacher, or the class geek would end up suffering for your need of attention. Oh well. That's life.

Then you finish high school and decide you want to be a bus driver cause it pays like $10/hour, which is like a shit load of money in your mind. Or you decide to go to college or university for one of the following reasons:

Your parents want you to

You don't feel like getting a job at the moment

Your friends are going so you may as well do the same

You have no clue what you want to do with your life, but you sure don't want to sit at home listening to constant nagging from the parental units

You'll follow your girlfriend where ever she goes! (Poor fool. I pity you)

So you get to college or university. Again, more responsibilities surface. Now you have to keep up with everyone and party till the morning, sleep, and do it all over the next night. At the same time, you have to manage to get a passing grade, which means you have to spend energy and money into getting someone to do the work for you. And you have to practice cheating on exams.

Then you graduate and finally land a job. You start at the bottom of the pile. Now, real responsibilities kick in: No more sleeping in, no more partying every night, no more goofing around. Instead, you have to replace all of these activities with productivity. You have to be on time. And you'll score more points when you get in early and leave late! You'll have newfound wealth, which means you can now buy the entire cool shit you wanted as a kid. You'll buy a house. You'll buy a BBQ, you'll by nice wheels, and you’ll buy a pool table. And then, a sudden realisation will hit you in the face. You're not having fun anymore! All you do is work! And you can't stop! You've got to pay for that house, that car, the pool table, that BBQ, etc! You are now at the mercy of the corporations! If you quit your job, you need to find another one. So regardless of your course of action, you are now a slave. And what do you do to get even with life? What is your act of retribution against your whole childhood up to the day you get your college diploma? Those wonderful years that were suppose to prepare you for this day but didn't? What do you do? You go and have a child of your own!!! OOOhhhh! The irony!

But that's life for ya! One third of my life has gone by already so I fear for what lies ahead. Is it just going to get worse? It's been going downhill for a long time already. Are we all doomed to serve society for the duration of our miserable existence? Well, I'll let you know what happens when I retire. Until then, it doesn't look like much is going to change. I miss being a kid. I miss doing nothing but to roll in the mud and looking forward to eating candies and getting cool toys. Those have been the best days of my life up to this day.

Anonymous

That's Life!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2003, 01:45:26 PM »

I'm about half as old as you and I'm already starting to feel the effects of working, and working, and nothing but working.

Here I go again replying to my own topics. I really ought to make a dummy account for the main page stuff. :evil:

LFD

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +2/-2
    • View Profile
That's Life!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2003, 05:29:31 PM »

Don't worry Chris...there is still hope...

Binoboy

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +5/-1
    • View Profile
That's Life!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2003, 10:50:23 PM »

That's the workin world Chris. Once they suck you in, age does not matter; you're all the same....
To die, to sleep; To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub... Ha ha! ...'Rub'!

TerrorDronze

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +22/-10
  • I'm not narcissistic, I'm just awesome.
    • View Profile
That's Life!
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2003, 08:53:08 AM »

work sucks, and besides my girlfriend, my current school life sucks.  life sucks in general, and usually it's not how badly it sucks, but how much or little you notice it.
Wait, so the might-be-a-bot isn't dead?!

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
That's Life!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2003, 04:15:06 PM »

Quote from: TerrorDronze
work sucks, and besides my girlfriend, my current school life sucks.  life sucks in general, and usually it's not how badly it sucks, but how much or little you notice it.

That was pretty deep, Terror. I'm going through the exact same thing...

I'll remember that one... :wink: