The Geek Forum

• April 28, 2024, 10:29:33 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129554
  • Total Topics: 7151
  • Online Today: 189
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Which early Christian Heresy are you?  (Read 1523 times)

Jaepheth

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +114/-5
    • View Profile
Which early Christian Heresy are you?
« on: July 20, 2014, 06:49:19 AM »

I don't normally share these things, but this one made me literally laugh out loud... several times:

Which Early Christian Heresy Are You?

My result:

Antinomianism
You are Antinomianism!

Antinomianism teaches that, since salvation is by faith alone, Christians are under no obligation to obey any moral law. Views of this sort were held by various Gnostic sects in the early centuries of the church, who argued that laws governing human behaviour were of no account since the inward spiritual essence of the human person could never be affected by the actions of the physical body. The term "antinomianism" itself, however, only arose in the aftermath of the continental Reformation, in which some of the more extreme followers of Luther understood the new emphasis on salvation through faith to invalidate the validity of any standard of moral law. Although Luther himself condemned this belief as a heresy, bitter antinomian controversies continued to spring up within Lutheranism and within English Puritanism throughout the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. The doctrine is condemned in the Lutheran Book of Concord and in the Decree on Justification of the Council of Trent.

I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
Re: Which early Christian Heresy are you?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 09:28:10 AM »

I need to remind myself to take this quiz when I get home.

Obviously I'm going to get Nebuchadnezzar. Duh.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 10:12:04 AM »

You are Arianism!

The heresy of Arianism is so named after Arius, a priest who taught in Alexandria, Egypt. Arius taught that Jesus Christ was a created being and therefore subordinate to God the Father, rather than a divine person having the same substance as the Father. Arius therefore denied Christ's pre-existence, holding that he came into being at some later time and could not be described as the "son of God" in the fullest sense. Arian beliefs were opposed by the fourth-century bishop Athanasius of Alexandria, who insisted that the Father and Son were co-eternal and of the same substance (Greek "homoousios") with each other. Arius's teachings were condemned explicitly by the Council of Niceae in 325, although remnants of Arianism continued to be taught in parts of Europe until the seventh century. A more moderate position, known as "semi-Arianism," taught that the Father and Son were of a similar but not identical substance to one another ("homoiousios"), which was likewise condemned as heretical.

Now i need to get a pomegranate.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 11:04:23 AM »

I got the same as Jaepheth, so now we're besties.

Antinomianism

You are Antinomianism!

Antinomianism teaches that, since salvation is by faith alone, Christians are under no obligation to obey any moral law. Views of this sort were held by various Gnostic sects in the early centuries of the church, who argued that laws governing human behaviour were of no account since the inward spiritual essence of the human person could never be affected by the actions of the physical body. The term "antinomianism" itself, however, only arose in the aftermath of the continental Reformation, in which some of the more extreme followers of Luther understood the new emphasis on salvation through faith to invalidate the validity of any standard of moral law. Although Luther himself condemned this belief as a heresy, bitter antinomian controversies continued to spring up within Lutheranism and within English Puritanism throughout the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. The doctrine is condemned in the Lutheran Book of Concord and in the Decree on Justification of the Council of Trent.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

zorgon

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +70/-1
  • His *brain* is gone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 11:23:21 AM »

Quote from: quiz
Pelagianism
You are Pelagianism!

Named after its most famous proponent, the British monk Pelagius, Pelagianism taught that human nature is not compromised by original sin and that the will is therefore capable of choosing to follow the moral good without God's aid. Pelagius's fiercest opponent was St Augustine of Hippo, whose writings insisted upon the reality of original sin and the need for divine grace to perform any good works. Augustine's position won out over that of Pelagius, and Pelagianism was condemned as a heresy by the Council of Carthage in 418, a decision that was confirmed at the Council of Ephesus in 431. Despite this apparent victory for Augustinianism, the precise relationship between grace and free will remained controversial, and a variety of "semi-Pelagian" positions were taught throughout the fifth and early sixth centuries.

That's right, I'm Darth Pelagius, mofos  :w:
Dammit, Jim ...

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 12:43:31 PM »

I was Nestorianism

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 02:56:14 PM »

Quote from: quiz
Montanism

You are Montanism!

Named after its founder, the second-century preacher Montanus, Montanism was a Christian movement which based its teachings upon special prophetic revelations granted to Montanus himself, along with his companions Prisca and Maximilla. Although the exact tenets taught by the three erstwhile prophets are unclear, Montanists were known for their strict disciplinary standards, which forbade remarriage after the death of a spouse and required strict fasting. Although Montanus's prophecies initially seemed to be compatible with mainstream Christian doctrine, Montanists eventually formed a separate sect which granted doctrinal authority to the writings of the three prophets. The most famous Montanist was Tertullian, a prominent African theologian, who became convinced in later life that the prophecies of Montanus were genuine; Montanists are therefore sometimes referred to in later writings as "Tertullianists."

Strict disciplinary standard? This one sucks.
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 07:27:29 PM »

Docetism

You are Docetism!

Docetism (literally, "to seem-ism") is the belief that Christ only seemed to be human and that his physical body was an illusion. Because he did not possess a physical body, Jesus's death on the cross could not really have taken place, and his apparent suffering was also illusory. Another variety of docetism held that Jesus was a normal human being but that Christ was an immaterial spirit who entered his body at his baptism, gave him the power to perform supernatural acts, and then abandoned him prior to the crucifixion, perhaps by switching bodies with Simon of Cyrene. Docetist Christology was criticized by a number of early Christian theologians, and was definitively condemned by the Council of Nicaea.

I am down with that.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 09:31:11 PM »

Stupid Council of Nicaea!!!

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

zorgon

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +70/-1
  • His *brain* is gone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 11:11:08 PM »

I less than three this thread SO MUCH
Dammit, Jim ...