The Geek Forum

• April 27, 2024, 11:37:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129551
  • Total Topics: 7148
  • Online Today: 179
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Bios / Cpu problem  (Read 3727 times)

SeK612

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +1/-8
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dreamwater.net/cult/
Bios / Cpu problem
« on: August 05, 2002, 05:52:38 PM »

When my P.C boots up an error message appears saying "CPU has been changed or is corrupt see Core settings" and when entered the settings are set to a AMD 1500+ processor at 133mhz - mine is a 2100 - but when i try and change it the cpu crashes and doesn't boot up properly afterwards. The only way to get it up and running again is to reset the CMOS which brings back the CPU problem. I'm also usure of whether I need the system disk in when editing the BIOs as I have changed the boot settings without but have read that you need it in when changing it.
Also I've read that splitting the hard drive is a good way to save disk wastage and thus have done so. My hard drive is spilt into 5 but somewhere along the way I have lost 8 gigs - my hard drive is 123.5 but all my 5 drives add up to 115 gigs. Is there anyway to retrieve this as it is quite alot of space. Finally I have win XP on a 60 gig partition but have read in some places that its worth having it on its own small partition to allow easy re-installtion. Is this a good idea ?

Funnies: 123

Anonymous

Bios / Cpu problem
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2002, 05:59:19 PM »

You might want to check your jumper settings on your motherboard to make sure they are set right. Refer to your motherboars manual to know the propper settings.

As for the hard drive...

5 partitions is a bit much. I have my 30 gig split into two partitions. One is used as the system drive, and the other is used for storage, such as pictures I have taken, MP3s, and the all important warez. Having a small system drive means less chance of it getting too cluttered with crap.

You also might want to check and make sure that you partitioned your drives right. You probably have another 8 gigs lying around that are un partitoned. If that is the case, you can either partiton that and the format it so you get another 8 gig drive, or just forget about it. It's only 8 gigs, and you have another 115 to use - that's more than enough.

SeK612

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
Bios / Cpu problem
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2002, 06:14:50 PM »

I guess it could be the fan messing it up. Thats the componant I had the most problem installing but I will check the jumpers as well. The 5 partition thing just kinda happened. I wanted one large drive for all the drives and stuff and then smaller ones for movies, mp3s, games and dodgy downloads - this one is the smallest as it'll need to be re-written frequently. In FDISK it says that I've used all of the disk space - 100%- but I'll check it. I will also look into compressing the disk into 3 drives though as I've already messed up a few with programs that are hard to unistall.

Thanks for your help,

SeK 612

Jon

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +0/-1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gotthegeek.com
Bios / Cpu problem
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2002, 07:56:10 PM »

Quote from: SeK612
I will also look into compressing the disk into 3 drives though as I've already messed up a few with programs that are hard to unistall.

Why bother compressing?

Anonymous

Bios / Cpu problem
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2002, 08:02:30 AM »

Looks like someone went a little overboard! Hard drive: You've got plenty of space. Space is cheap now. No need to compress anything. Those compression utilities will often cause more problems. Second, the fan is not the problem. If you just boot your PC and get these errors right away, the CPU didn't get a chance to get hot yet. So really, the fan isn't being used at this point. However, make sure you do attached the fan proprely to protect your chip in the long run.

Jumpers on the mother board: When you look into the manual, there is usually a way for the board to auto detect the CPU speed. Normally, that is how the board is shipped. You can also force it to a specific setting using jumpers to set the base speed and the multiplier. Ground yourself on a baseboard or something when you play around with the components.

Last thing... I assume you have built your own machine from parts you have ordered based on your fan installation problems. Is it possible that the board you purchased does not support your processor?

Anonymous

Bios / Cpu problem
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2002, 08:12:05 AM »

One more thing about partitions: Normally, people that use partitions split the drive in two. C: is a small partition used to store the OS and some core programs (SQL if you run database server for example). All other data normally goes on D: which is a much bigger partition. (90% of your disk space or so). the only reason you would require additional partitions is if you run multiple operating systems. Everytime you add partitions, some disk space is used to store the partition info. The more partitions you have, the more disk space you loose. However, it takes minimal, almost unoticable space. It wouldn't cause the 8GB lost you encountered. My guess is that the partitions weren't done correctly in the first place.

I think the best thing for you to do at this point is to wipe everything, repartition, reformat and reinstall. Doing it right the first time will save you trouble.

SeK612

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
Bios / Cpu problem
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2002, 10:17:10 AM »

No need to compress anything.

Sorry that was my bad explination. I was refering to me compressing the 5 way split to a 3 way one.

The only reason you would require additional partitions is if you run multiple operating systems. Everytime you add partitions

I'm downloading Redhat at the moment. I want to run both Linux and Win XP on this machine.

Is it possible that the board you purchased does not support your processor

Hmm I hope it does. The fan was cheap but it said it was compatable with my Processor so I went for it. I'm pretty sure its cool with the Mobo too - my mobos a Abit KX7 333r and the fan is Akasa AK 824.

However, make sure you do attached the fan proprely to protect your chip in the long run.

This was my main worry at fist as I had a real problem getting the fan on  - I had to unscrew the whole thing and attach it bit by bit to the processor. I also was unsure on where and how to put the heat sink compaound and thus my proscessor is without. At first the chip was getting very hot - too hot to touch - and I was afraid to boot the cpu up in case the processor blew but it seems to reach that temperature and kinda taper off and so seems O.K.  I'll check everything over again checking it with the manuals I got to see if I can spot problems.

I think the best thing for you to do at this point is to wipe everything, repartition, reformat and reinstall

I need to check that I can save the linux discs that I'm downloading to CD  before attempting to re-install. There are 3 discs worth and each is about 650 megs so its taking ages to download and I wouldn't wat to lose them. I'm a little unsure of wether I can copy them to CD with just a CD-RW - when ordering I forgot the DvD drive. I have Nero burner - which I got with my Cd-RW - and I'll check this out to see if I can. If not I'll just have to wait untill I get around to ordering the DVD drive.

Thanks

SeK 612

Anonymous

Bios / Cpu problem
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2002, 11:25:43 AM »

To burn it to a CD you're going to use Nero to burn from an image file. It's in the options when it asks you what kind of CD you're going to be making.

At this point I'd just say reformat, and make two partitions of equal size. One for Linux, one for XP. You're not really going to be at a big loss without seperate drives to keep files in.