The Geek Forum

• May 12, 2024, 10:02:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 146
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Building a computer  (Read 10125 times)

Weasel

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Building a computer
« on: July 09, 2004, 06:13:08 PM »

hey everyone, i been planning on building me a new computer to keep up with the hiigh intensity graphics of the games today and these are the specs i planned on buying, think ya'll could tell me if there would be any major conflicts, better prices you know of, or maybe an upgrade i should get instead? (reasonably priced)

Motherboard: K8N Neo Platinum - 130.00
Processor: AMD 64 3400 - 416.00
Video Card: Radeon X800 XT Platinum (drool) - 464.86
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS GAMER  - 110.00
Memory: Kingston 1GB PC3200 DDR DIMM - 175.00

this is just the main stuff I'll be using, would love to have a little feedback before i fork over a paycheck or two  
:doh:

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
Building a computer
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 06:17:39 PM »

And you are...?

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
Building a computer
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 07:05:11 PM »

You should send the money to me.  I'll invest it for you and you'll be rich!  Rich I say!

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
Building a computer
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 07:08:10 PM »

Sounds ok so far, but why the 64-bit CPU? Are you really that keen on Windows XP 64-bit edition?
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Weasel

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
Building a computer
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2004, 12:10:51 AM »

im weasel, who are you?

ummm i heard the AMD 64 3400 was an AWESOME gaming processor, did i hear wrong/what do you suggest?

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
Building a computer
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2004, 01:07:51 AM »

64-bit CPUs aren't really all that useful if the OS and apps aren't 64-bit. If you want to get one, then go for it, especially if you plan to upgrade later on. If you don't see youself using a 64-bit OS, then save some cash and get a 32-bit CPU.

Oh yeah, it's generally a good idea not to be a smart ass to one of the mods here.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Weasel

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
Building a computer
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2004, 04:40:44 PM »

who catwritr? she was being rude to me, why not be rude back? just cuz she is a moderator, woop de doo.

is a 64-bit OS coming out anytime soon? or one thats out already? im rather keen on keeping windows

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • DFG
    • View Profile
Building a computer
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2004, 04:53:03 PM »

I wasn't being rude. I was asking who you were, since you've never posted before. If you'd read around the site a bit, you'd notice that we have a newbies forum. While it's not required that you make an intro post there, it's appreciated. We also don't like it when people come and expect us to help them right away.

You haven't seen me rude yet.

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
Building a computer
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2004, 06:22:57 PM »

Ooo!  Good mod, bad mod!!

*ahem*

Now Cat.  Cut the guy some slack.  Maybe he was raised with no manners.  Or perhaps he's been hurt before by a forum that he's trying to forget, but just can't do it.  He lies awake at night, going through the old letters from that forum.  That cruel, cruel forum that reached right in, grabbed a hold of his heart with such great intensity, and then ripped it right out of his chest.  Seas of tears streamed down from his sad eyes.  So now he treats every new forum like he wishes he had treated that one.  He thinks it will make him feel better but....it never does.  Nothing does.

Hey, so am I supposed to be the good mod or the bad one?  I keep forgetting.
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • DFG
    • View Profile
Building a computer
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2004, 06:38:03 PM »

Quote from: Detta

Hey, so am I supposed to be the good mod or the bad one?  I keep forgetting.

We could take turns, if you like!

Weasel

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
Building a computer
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2004, 08:31:57 PM »

right..... uhhhh what the hell? though i am a geek im not considered a "smart" geek and i figured in a geek forum, i.e. the name, ya'll might be able to help me out? but no, you just like to try and put me down, maybe insult me. sounds more like a bitch then a "g33k" to me. about manners, when did i ever imply that i dont have manners? because i didnt post in your n00bies forum? sorry, rather not. now my question to you, what the hell did i do you you 2?

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • DFG
    • View Profile
Building a computer
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2004, 08:54:23 PM »

Settle down there, bucko. No one has insulted you.

Anonymous

Building a computer
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2004, 08:55:09 PM »

Chill out there buddy. This isn't s a tech support forum or a buyers guide forum. Many people here can give you some really good tips, reviews, feedback, suggestions in regards to your query. But they will do so at their own will. I suggest you read around a get a little familiar with netiquette if you plan on sticking around. You'll get feedback, justy be patient, and don't be rude. That will make your stay here very short. Thanks.

Anonymous

Building a computer
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2004, 09:03:58 PM »

This thread makes me want to cry.

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
Building a computer
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2004, 09:49:59 PM »

Why is it locked?  There's obviously an unresolved issue here.

Weasel, I was joking around.  Looks like I'm not too good at "Good mod".
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

Law

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +6/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mideastinfo.com
Building a computer
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2004, 10:19:57 PM »

Quote from: Chris
This thread makes me want to cry.

It makes me want to hunt some weasel.
"I shall send down on you a rain of frogs that are impervious to fire but of little use otherwise." -- catwritr

Weasel

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
Weird Tingly Feeling IS WRONG WITH YA'LL
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2004, 01:42:54 AM »

what? are you all crazy?????

catwritr: Settle down there, bucko. No one has insulted you.
Weird Tingly Feeling??!? did you miss this?

Ooo! Good mod, bad mod!!

*ahem*

Now Cat. Cut the guy some slack. Maybe he was raised with no manners. Or perhaps he's been hurt before by a forum that he's trying to forget, but just can't do it. He lies awake at night, going through the old letters from that forum. That cruel, cruel forum that reached right in, grabbed a hold of his heart with such great intensity, and then ripped it right out of his chest. Seas of tears streamed down from his sad eyes. So now he treats every new forum like he wishes he had treated that one. He thinks it will make him feel better but....it never does. Nothing does.

Hey, so am I supposed to be the good mod or the bad one? I keep forgetting.

TheJudge: Many people here can give you some really good tips, reviews, feedback, suggestions in regards to your query. But they will do so at their own will.

go read my first post, i did ask for feedback when did i ever demand feedback? never. screw you

Detta: how is....

Now Cat. Cut the guy some slack. Maybe he was raised with no manners. Or perhaps he's been hurt before by a forum that he's trying to forget, but just can't do it. He lies awake at night, going through the old letters from that forum. That cruel, cruel forum that reached right in, grabbed a hold of his heart with such great intensity, and then ripped it right out of his chest. Seas of tears streamed down from his sad eyes. So now he treats every new forum like he wishes he had treated that one. He thinks it will make him feel better but....it never does. Nothing does.

just joking around? you must have the worst damn sense of humor EVER

Law: It makes me want to hunt some weasel.
...... i hate you, you have said one thing to me i can already tell your a little child, and i hate you

pwned

phyre

• My Space Emo Attention Whore
  • Coolio Points: +14/-1
    • View Profile
    • http://morningphyre.com
Building a computer
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2004, 02:01:09 AM »

I guarantee we are all older than you. Most of us are between 20 and 30.

To clarify a point of order: this is our board. More specifically, Chris's board, and he lets us play in it. You need to understand that you can easily be banned for being a whiny little pissant in the way that you are- and that you can't control other people. Each person on this board is entitled to say whatever they want in response to your posts, until you're accepted as a member here.

If you don't want to stay, that's fine, just keep doing what you're doing. If you want to stick around, show a little humility, take your lumps just like the rest of us, and learn what it is we're all about here. I can almost certify that we're not all assholes, so it's really possible you're doing something wrong here and don't know it. Please accept that possibility before posting again.

"Together we are what we can't be alone" -Dropkick Murphys

Anonymous

Building a computer
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2004, 07:11:26 AM »

Anonymous

Re: Weird Tingly Feeling IS WRONG WITH YA'LL
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2004, 08:26:59 AM »

Quote from: Weasel

When everyone but yourself is wrong, then perhaps you should rethink your position because it usually means you're wrong.

And don't tell me to screw myself. In fact, I see no future for your 13 year old attitude on this board so I'm going to do everyone a favour and terminate your account. But I'll give you another chance. I'm a nice guys.

Go to this site and read all the content. Come back and tell me what you've learned. If I am satisfied with your reply, I will let you stick around. If I'm not satisfied, I'll just have to ban you. If you post anywhere or anything not related to what you've learned from this site, I will terminate your account immediatly.

Now let's take some bets! What will be weasels next post?

1 - Fuck off assholes! You guys are fucking retared! What he fuck is wrong with you people? I'm out!

2 - FUK OF ASHOLES!!1!1 LOL U GUYS R FUKNG RATAERD!11!1!!1 WUT H3 FUK IS WRONG WIT U P3OPLE?!?!??!! OMG Weird Tingly Feeling LOL IMM OUT 1!1!1! OMG LOL

3 - I won't play your little game. I'm not your bitch. Fuck off Judge.

4 - I WONT PLAY UR LITL3 GM31!11!1 IMM NOT UR BITCH1!!!1 Weird Tingly Feeling LOL FUK OF JUDG31!!!1!!1

5 - Oh... I'll play your little game you rogue! I'll take The Rapist for $200.

6 - I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be such a fucking smartass. I'll be nice. Sorry if I've offended anyone. I wanna make it up to you guys and I'll go in the noob forum to tell you a little bit about myself and perhaps we can discuss computer hardware afterwards. Oh, and here's what I've learned about netiquette: ...

7 -

8 - I'm gona hack your stupid board. I know people over at hackernetwork and they're going to help me hack you all!

9 - IMM GONA HAK UR STUPID BOARD!11!1! OMG I KNOW PEOPL3 OVER AT HAK3RNETWORK AND THERE GONG 2 HELP ME HAK U AL1!!1 Weird Tingly Feeling LOL

10 - Screw you Judge!

Weasel

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
Building a computer
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2004, 09:29:26 AM »

oh judge, your so crazy, would you ever expect me to take choice #6? /shame
so i guess this is my final stand /pops knuckle

so the other night i was... "He lies awake at night, going through the old letters from that forum. That cruel, cruel forum that reached right in, grabbed a hold of his heart with such great intensity, and then ripped it right out of his chest."

and i was thinking.... maybe i did say somthing fucked up? but then i re read it, and i have concluded: i have not done a damn thing wrong, i just wanted to help which i did ask for, and i get responses from MODERATORS insulting me and telling me i have no manners?

i will concede and apologize IF you can tell me what i did wrong beside not posting in your n00bie forum, and excuse me for not, but the name doesnt seem oh too appitizing(sp).

Phrye: it does seem that your all assholes so far (except for Xolik who started helping me, and i thank him for it)

TheJudge: do ya think i REALLY care if you ban my account from 1 of the millionsof forums on the internet? and i could just get a new account if i were so inclined, change my ip if i needed just to get a new account (depending on how in depth your banning techniques are) i was looking for a professional oppinion, apparently this isnt the place to find it, before you ban my account, why not leave a post or send an email telling what i did wrong.

hmmm childish? yes. deserving? god yes.
http://amishrakefight.org/gfy/

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
Building a computer
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2004, 10:26:27 AM »

Just stop using computers.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • DFG
    • View Profile
Building a computer
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2004, 10:27:54 AM »

What you did wrong?

You took it waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too seriously. You obviously have no sense of humor. That's sad.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
Building a computer
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2004, 10:31:05 AM »

Even an idiot (and trust me, I know from personal experience) could see that Detta's comment about his past forum activities was written as a comedic interlude rather than any sort of personal insult.

If this dolt can't even get that, I don't see what he's going to be doing here.

And his computer didn't even have a power supply or a hard drive or anything.

Anonymous

Re: Weird Tingly Feeling IS WRONG WITH YA'LL
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2004, 12:00:23 PM »

Weasil my friend, I shall explain what you did wrong!

1st post, 2nd post: No problem. Third post and forward: It goes down the drain...

right..... uhhhh what the hell? though i am a geek im not considered a "smart" geek and i figured in a geek forum, i.e. the name, ya'll might be able to help me out? but no, you just like to try and put me down, maybe insult me. sounds more like a bitch then a "g33k" to me. about manners, when did i ever imply that i dont have manners? because i didnt post in your n00bies forum? sorry, rather not. now my question to you, what the hell did i do you you 2?

You initiated the name calling by reffering to Cat as a bitch. Because you assumed she was bing rude when she wasn't. She just asked a ligitimate question. Who are you? How is that putting you down? Are you a super hero and wish to maintin a secret identity? Then I could understand.  :roll:
what? are you all crazy?????

catwritr: Settle down there, bucko. No one has insulted you.
Weird Tingly Feeling??!? did you miss this?

TheJudge: Many people here can give you some really good tips, reviews, feedback, suggestions in regards to your query. But they will do so at their own will.

go read my first post, i did ask for feedback when did i ever demand feedback? never. screw you

Detta: how is...*quotes*...just joking around? you must have the worst damn sense of humor EVER

Law: It makes me want to hunt some weasel.
...... i hate you, you have said one thing to me i can already tell your a little child, and i hate you

Next, you just called everyone crazzy. Then you tell cat you didn't insult her. Funny, but I remember clearly that you called her a bitch. Then you attack me. Why? I'm not sure. Because I asked you to take it easy perhaps? I didn't say you demanded feedback specifically, I just listed things that are normally done on this forum. I was telling you that you would get the answers you wanted if only you were a little patient and less of an ass. But you didn't get it now did you?

Then you reply to Detta. How is [detta's post] just joking around? Because it is. We all know Detta quite well. Along with all other regulars which you're trying to insult. We know when they're joking and when they're not. You don't. Because you just show up, make assumptions which are false, and then act on them. That's how you landed in his mess in the first place.

Law: Same deal as Detta, except he probably meant to fuel your fire because you fit the profile of a typical narcistic 13 year old with anger management issues. That can be quite entertaining and hilarious to watch. And this thread just proved it. Yes, now for the very first time in this entire thread, I am being insulting. You've passed the point of no return. You are going to entertain the hell out of us now, Dance monkey! DANCE!!!

Oh and you end that post with the delusion that we are wrong and you are not. Clearly, you were wrong about that.

oh judge, your so crazy, would you ever expect me to take choice #6? /shame
so i guess this is my final stand /pops knuckle

so the other night i was... "He lies awake at night, going through the old letters from that forum. That cruel, cruel forum that reached right in, grabbed a hold of his heart with such great intensity, and then ripped it right out of his chest."

and i was thinking.... maybe i did say somthing fucked up? but then i re read it, and i have concluded: i have not done a damn thing wrong, i just wanted to help which i did ask for, and i get responses from MODERATORS insulting me and telling me i have no manners?

i will concede and apologize IF you can tell me what i did wrong beside not posting in your n00bie forum, and excuse me for not, but the name doesnt seem oh too appitizing(sp).

Phrye: it does seem that your all assholes so far (except for Xolik who started helping me, and i thank him for it)

TheJudge: do ya think i REALLY care if you ban my account from 1 of the millionsof forums on the internet? and i could just get a new account if i were so inclined, change my ip if i needed just to get a new account (depending on how in depth your banning techniques are) i was looking for a professional oppinion, apparently this isnt the place to find it, before you ban my account, why not leave a post or send an email telling what i did wrong.

I expect you to behave exactly like you did. I've seen your type before. Quite entertaining.

Mods and regulars are insulting you in response to you insulting them. You can't deny the facts.

I beleive I have met your requirements for an appoligy. Not that I expect one at this point.

Next you insult phyre. Nice going.  :roll: But you thank Xolik. That was very nice of you! Perhaps this whole thing is just a missunderstand and you're just a gay guy crying out for love. (Don't take it personal, that's just an inside joke).

Now about your ban, I am not concerned about the millions of forum out there. I am simply concerned by your behavior on this one. No one is forcing you to stay (but you'll be forced to leave very soon). And I assure you, our ban techniques are la creme de la creme. You see, instead of clicking the ban button, we taunt retards until they leave in tears or commit suicide. It's quite effective! And it sometimes provides tears joy triggered by extended laughter. It's very healthy.
Pages: [1] 2 3