The Geek Forum

• April 27, 2024, 12:06:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129551
  • Total Topics: 7148
  • Online Today: 179
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: I want to take a chainsaw and destroy this horrible PC......  (Read 3124 times)

KoRNexpressor

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +0/-3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dextroverse.org
I want to take a chainsaw and destroy this horrible PC......
« on: August 19, 2002, 08:56:57 PM »

Gateway Astro, With Pentium Celeron Processor
400 MHz
63 MB RAM
3.98 GB With NOTHING installed
And it's a beautiful all in one design!

My problem is lately my comp has had horrible 5 second lag bursts everyone 1/2 minute. I have about 500 megs of memory free now (I didn't buy this peice of shit) and I don't really have many programs running at one time. I defragged it yesterday and it solved the problem for about 4 hours, but then the stupid lag bursts began and I have no idea why. What should I do? It is the most annoying experience I have ever seen...
Pink Floyd is Good, Opeth is good, Insane Rants are good. I am jusy trying to make myself happy, damnit.

-Keith

DiZ

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.openspace.150m.com
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2002, 06:25:38 AM »

i kinda get the same with my celeron 400... but onyl when i access "my documents". i defragged and it did not solve the problem though...
"It's like deja vu all over again!" - Yogi Bera
""All day long i do nothing, and i still don't get it done." - Ronald Regan
"We need stronger Death Penalties!" - Ross Perot

Jon

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +0/-1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gotthegeek.com
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2002, 08:44:08 AM »

Most annoying experience you have ever had*

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Re: I want to take a chainsaw and destroy this horrible PC..
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2002, 11:56:48 AM »

Quote from: KoRNexpressor
My problem is lately my comp has had horrible 5 second lag bursts everyone 1/2 minute. I have about 500 megs of memory free now (I didn't buy this peice of shit) and I don't really have many programs running at one time. I defragged it yesterday and it solved the problem for about 4 hours, but then the stupid lag bursts began and I have no idea why.
[/i]I ran into that exact same problem and it wasn't the computer at all, but the graphics card was gimping out on me.  Try swapping it out with one that you know works for sure and see if the situation improves.  It worked for me.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2002, 01:28:17 PM »

Components are not always compatible with each other and will sometimes cause similar problems then what you've described. But it's hard to spot which componant causes the problems in the first place or if a componant is really the source of a problem. Sometimes, everything will be working fine for weeks and then something comes up. Have you updated your drivers recently? If so, do you recall which? I remember installing a video driver that fucked up my machine. I had to reinstall the older version. On the other hand, drivers may actually solve your problem if they have not been updated in a long time. If that's your case, I recommend you update all your drivers to see if things improve.

Think back on what has changed since the comp was fine and since it started to fuck up. Did you add new components or replace old ones? When is the last time your PC was wiped and rebuilt? That should be done at least once a year. I do it every six months and avoid the "Microsoft fucked up my PC again" syndrom that way.

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2002, 01:31:31 PM »

I remember about a year ago my mouse started "lagging" and "jumping" around like he described. I didn't know what it was at first, and then I realized that the only new thing that I had running and installed was Quick Time.

To this day I still think that the stupid auto start program that Quick Time installs was the problem. I haven't had any problems with it since, and I have a new mouse as well.

KoRNexpressor

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +0/-3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dextroverse.org
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2002, 07:47:18 AM »

I don't think it's because of a program running...just after I defragged and restarted, I closed (ctrl+alt+dlt) every single program running, and I still had that stupid lag problem.

I ran into that exact same problem and it wasn't the computer at all, but the graphics card was gimping out on me. Try swapping it out with one that you know works for sure and see if the situation improves. It worked for me.

I don't even know if I can do that, since this is a one all-in-one 1337 4 GB computer...
Pink Floyd is Good, Opeth is good, Insane Rants are good. I am jusy trying to make myself happy, damnit.

-Keith