The Geek Forum

• May 02, 2024, 04:35:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129596
  • Total Topics: 7172
  • Online Today: 77
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: "Trust us. Our intentions are good"  (Read 2071 times)

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
"Trust us. Our intentions are good"
« on: September 27, 2004, 09:31:09 AM »

Linkage

This really bothers me.  What reason do we have to trust ANYONE with this kind of power and unrestricted access to information?

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 09:49:23 AM »

Quote from: Demosthenes
What reason do we have to trust ANYONE with this kind of power and unrestricted access to information?

I thought this thread was about my boss wanting domain admin rights.  :(
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

avalanche

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +15/-1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.woodcontour.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 09:51:58 AM »

These are the systems that fly 35+ miles above the planet and are capable of reading the contents listing on the candy bar wrapper you just discarded.

I find it hard to believe that they haven't been using said systems in the US in the past.  Haven't these same systems been used in finding hijacked school busses ("Without a Trace" CBS 2003)?

Seriously, we watch our own.  If you've ever worked retail and had a security camera over your shoulder so that a robber can be identified, you have to know that your manager reviewed those tapes to make sure you weren't making sweetheart-sales or underage-sales of liquor or skimming from the till.  

Knowing that the biggest threat comes from within, wouldn't you suspect that they (the govt) have been watching all along?

Rico

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +24/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 01:43:38 AM »

It's extremely illegal to collect on US Persons.  The permission to do so comes from so far up, you'd never believe it, and it's on a case-by-case, person-by-person basis.  It's so rare it's nearly unheard of.  Most of the stuff they're talking about really is just passive collection.  Basically, think of it as being like the cameras TV Stations have along major highways, or ones outside a gas station watching the pumps.  If you do something wrong, they'll go back and try to catch it, but no one is sitting there watching what you're doing.

I know it's a little hard to believe, but protecting your rights is a huge concern, and one of the first things you get taught.  Plus they all have intensive training periodically and lots of oversight programs in place to ensure nothing illegal happens.  Actually, with all the movies that have come out to make folks so paranoid, it's an even larger concern than it used to be.
Magnus frater spectat te - Big Brother is watching you