The Geek Forum

• April 27, 2024, 11:40:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129551
  • Total Topics: 7148
  • Online Today: 179
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 230

Author Topic: The Apparently Necessary Random Stuff Thread  (Read 933399 times)

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
The Apparently Necessary Random Stuff Thread
« Reply #175 on: March 18, 2005, 04:56:58 PM »

Overall, the PoliticsForum quiz considers you an individually-orientated, materialist, small-government, internationalist, free-trade, non-absolutist, liberal-market kind of person.

These characteristics would put you in the overall category of libertarian. Your natural home at PoliticsForum would be the Liberalism area.

Below, on this page, is an analysis of the (up to) eight categories that you were sorted into above, and an explanation of how you scored on the eight scales used to determine these categorisations.

The pages following this one show the breakdown of results for all participants on each question. You can freely navigate through the pages by using the hyperlinks in the top right of each page.

Individual vs Social
"The individualist believes that society works best through a focus on individual rights, freedoms, actions and responsibilities. The social thinker believes that the ideal state should focus more upon collective action and take a social approach to rights and responsibilities."

Individual  Social

You scored 19 out of 100 on a scale of Individual vs Social. This means that politically you are less likely to value the need for group actions and group benefit over individual enterprise and benefit.

3% of test takers were more individual than you.
97% of test takers were more social than you.

Theist vs Materialist
"The materialist believes that all objective criteria to influence politics can be reasonably derived without recourse to the divine or the spiritual. The theist believes that spiritual beliefs are important and should influence government policy."

Theist  Materialist

You scored 80 out of 100 on a scale of Theist vs Materialist. This means that politically you are more likely to believe that religion and spirituality are superstitions that should not inform political debate.

82% of test takers were more theist than you.
16% of test takers were more materialist than you.

Big Government vs Small Government
"The big government advocate believes that governments should be responsible for regulating a wide array of social practices, even what might be considered personal decisions such as abortion, euthanasia, children's education and births. A small government advocate thinks that, wherever possible, these issues should be up to individuals or companies to direct."

Big Gov  Small Gov

You scored 92 out of 100 on a scale of Big Government vs Small Government. This means that politically you are more likely to believe that government should keep out of legislating social policies, leaving such decisions to individuals.

98% of test takers were more big government than you.
2% of test takers were more small government than you.

Nationalist vs Internationalist
"The nationalist believes in the sovereign rule of nation states, particularly his or her own. The internationalist believes that there should be more important international fora and perhaps, ultimately, international government."

National  International

You scored 61 out of 100 on a scale of Nationalist vs Internationalist. This means that politically you are more likely to favour international bodies over national ones.

50% of test takers were more nationalist than you.
48% of test takers were more internationalist than you.

Protectionist vs Free Trader
"The protectionist believes in barriers against free trade most probably due to a belief that this is in his or her country's interests. The free trader rejects such notions, believing that the system ultimately suffers when tariffs, subsidies and other obstacles to free trade persist."

Protection  Free-Trade

You scored 100 out of 100 on a scale of Protectionist vs Free Trader. This means that politically you are more likely to favour free trade over protectionist policies.

97% of test takers were more protectionist than you.
0% of test takers were more pro free trade than you.

Absolutist vs Non-Absolutist
"The absolutist believes that either a divine presence or scientific laws provide absolute truths about the world, which can and should be applied in practise. The non-absolutist may be either a relativist, or simply someone who is more pragmatic."

Absolute  Non-Absolute

You scored 78 out of 100 on a scale of Absolutist vs Non Absolutist. This means that politically you are less likely to believe that there is an absolute truth that may guide your ideological beliefs.

98% of test takers were more absolutist than you.
2% of test takers were more non-absolutist than you.

Controlled Market vs Liberal Market
"Both of these categories assume a capitalist system. Assuming this system, the controlled market believer holds that government should intervene in regulating a nation's economy: wage laws, environmental standards, privatised industries and workplace relations policy. A liberal market thinker believes that such regulation is unnecessary and often counter-productive."

Controlled  Liberal

You scored 76 out of 100 on a scale of Controlled Market vs Liberal Market. This means that politically you are less likely to believe that there is need for government regulation of industry.

91% of test takers were more controlled market thinkers than you.
8% of test takers were more liberal market thinkers than you.

Marxist vs Non-Marxist
"This scale purports to show to what extent you follow the thought and teachings of Marx. Marxists tend to be scientific, materialist and revolutionary, believe in class struggle and the laws of historical and dialectic materialism."

Marxist  Non-Marxist

You scored 58 out of 100 on a scale of Marxist vs Non-Marxist. This means that politically you are neither more nor less likely to follow the philosophies of Marx.

74% of test takers were more Marxist than you.
24% of test takers were more non-Marxist than you.

Not bad, but I didn't like several of the questions.  Many of these can not be represented well linearly.  And I should have been 99.44% non-absolutist.

Also the nationalist internationalist category just sucked ass.  I don't like either position.  Both paradigms stifle freedom.

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 19, 2005, 11:34:06 AM »

Overall, the PoliticsForum quiz considers you a materialist, small-government, internationalist, protectionist, kind of person.

These characteristics would put you in the overall category of borderline internationalist. Your natural home at PoliticsForum would be the International Relations area.

Below, on this page, is an analysis of the (up to) eight categories that you were sorted into above, and an explanation of how you scored on the eight scales used to determine these categorisations.

The pages following this one show the breakdown of results for all participants on each question. You can freely navigate through the pages by using the hyperlinks in the top right of each page.

Individual vs Social

"The individualist believes that society works best through a focus on individual rights, freedoms, actions and responsibilities. The social thinker believes that the ideal state should focus more upon collective action and take a social approach to rights and responsibilities."

Individual

Social

You scored 41 out of 100 on a scale of Individual vs Social. This means that politically you are neither more nor less likely to value the need for group actions and group benefit over individual enterprise and benefit.

* 19% of test takers were more individual than you.
    * 80% of test takers were more social than you.

Theist vs Materialist

"The materialist believes that all objective criteria to influence politics can be reasonably derived without recourse to the divine or the spiritual. The theist believes that spiritual beliefs are important and should influence government policy."

Theist

Materialist

You scored 81 out of 100 on a scale of Theist vs Materialist. This means that politically you are more likely to believe that religion and spirituality are superstitions that should not inform political debate.

* 84% of test takers were more theist than you.
    * 15% of test takers were more materialist than you.

Big Government vs Small Government

"The big government advocate believes that governments should be responsible for regulating a wide array of social practices, even what might be considered personal decisions such as abortion, euthanasia, children's education and births. A small government advocate thinks that, wherever possible, these issues should be up to individuals or companies to direct."

Big Gov

Small Gov

You scored 63 out of 100 on a scale of Big Government vs Small Government. This means that politically you are more likely to believe that government should keep out of legislating social policies, leaving such decisions to individuals.

* 63% of test takers were more big government than you.
    * 35% of test takers were more small government than you.

Nationalist vs Internationalist

"The nationalist believes in the sovereign rule of nation states, particularly his or her own. The internationalist believes that there should be more important international fora and perhaps, ultimately, international government."

National

International

You scored 61 out of 100 on a scale of Nationalist vs Internationalist. This means that politically you are more likely to favour international bodies over national ones.

* 50% of test takers were more nationalist than you.
    * 48% of test takers were more internationalist than you.

Protectionist vs Free Trader

"The protectionist believes in barriers against free trade most probably due to a belief that this is in his or her country's interests. The free trader rejects such notions, believing that the system ultimately suffers when tariffs, subsidies and other obstacles to free trade persist."

Protection

Free-Trade

You scored 35 out of 100 on a scale of Protectionist vs Free Trader. This means that politically you are less likely to favour free trade over protectionist policies.

* 19% of test takers were more protectionist than you.
    * 80% of test takers were more pro free trade than you.

Absolutist vs Non-Absolutist

"The absolutist believes that either a divine presence or scientific laws provide absolute truths about the world, which can and should be applied in practise. The non-absolutist may be either a relativist, or simply someone who is more pragmatic."

Absolute

Non-Absolute

You scored 57 out of 100 on a scale of Absolutist vs Non Absolutist. This means that politically you are neither more nor less likely to believe that there is an absolute truth that may guide your ideological beliefs.

* 47% of test takers were more absolutist than you.
    * 49% of test takers were more non-absolutist than you.

Controlled Market vs Liberal Market

"Both of these categories assume a capitalist system. Assuming this system, the controlled market believer holds that government should intervene in regulating a nation's economy: wage laws, environmental standards, privatised industries and workplace relations policy. A liberal market thinker believes that such regulation is unnecessary and often counter-productive."

Controlled

Liberal

You scored 43 out of 100 on a scale of Controlled Market vs Liberal Market. This means that politically you are neither more nor less likely to believe that there is need for government regulation of industry.

* 59% of test takers were more controlled market thinkers than you.
    * 39% of test takers were more liberal market thinkers than you.

Marxist vs Non-Marxist

"This scale purports to show to what extent you follow the thought and teachings of Marx. Marxists tend to be scientific, materialist and revolutionary, believe in class struggle and the laws of historical and dialectic materialism."

Marxist

Non-Marxist

You scored 50 out of 100 on a scale of Marxist vs Non-Marxist. This means that politically you are neither more nor less likely to follow the philosophies of Marx.

* 52% of test takers were more Marxist than you.
    * 45% of test takers were more non-Marxist than you.

I'd like to say in my own defense that I try to find a balance between things...call me what you will. (Let the chain of names commence  :roll: )
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #177 on: March 21, 2005, 10:11:11 AM »

Quote from: pbsaurus
Not bad, but I didn't like several of the questions.  Many of these can not be represented well linearly.  And I should have been 99.44% non-absolutist.

Also the nationalist internationalist category just sucked ass.  I don't like either position.  Both paradigms stifle freedom.

That was the primary problem I had with the test too... you're either irrationally nationalist (which is scary) or internationalist, which erodes sovereignty and puts individual rights in the hands of a global entity that might not have individual best interests in mind.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 29, 2005, 03:17:41 PM »

God and Saint Peter are sitting up in heaven talking. So God says, “You know, it’s been a long time since I’ve taken a vacation.” Saint Peter thinks about it and says. “Yea, at least a few thousand years or so. So where ya wanna go?” God thinks about it for a few seconds and says, “I dunno. Got any suggestions?”  Saint Peter thinks about it a bit and says, “How about Pluto? You could relax, take in some skiing.” “No no no.”, God says, “Too cold.” Saint Peter thinks about it some more and says “How about Mars? You could go rock climbing, take in a show.” “Nah, I don’t think so.”  Now this time Saint Peter thinks long and hard and finally says “Hey, how about Earth? You haven’t been there in ages.” “Not a chance.” God says. “Last time I went there I knocked up this Jewish chick and started all kinds of trouble.”
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Graham_UK

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Strange but true facts
« Reply #179 on: April 05, 2005, 01:17:24 PM »

I know this is genuinely cheesy and frowned on by "serious" internet forum members. But hey, sue / ban / flame me as I found some of them interesting.

This one is for catwritr

When subjected to an electric current of at least 50 volts, a cat's tail always points toward the north.

How useful is that, I now look at cats in an entirely different light.

A prominent organization of anthropologists has predicted that by the year 5000, humans will have two rectums, but only one nostril.

That makes perfect sense somehow.

Due to the angle at which the optic nerve enters the brain, staring at a blue surface during sex greatly increases the intensity of orgasms.

Now thats got to be useful, whats an orgasm ?

The average person can fit exactly one half of their pinky finger in one of their nostrils. However, if an attempt is made to put a pinky finger in EACH nostril, only one quarter of each will fit.

Go on try it, I have and its true

A thousand lips, A thousand tongues, A thousand throats, A thousand lungs, A thousand ways to make it true.
I want to do terrible things to you.

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 05, 2005, 02:29:56 PM »

What if you have long fingernails?

Know what I hate?  (Yeah, yeah, add it to the list.)  I hate when I'm washing my face and somehow my finger jabs up my nose real hard.  That fucking hurts.

Does that ever happen to anyone else?  

Anyone?
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

dcrog

• Banned on the run
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +253/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 05, 2005, 02:46:36 PM »

Uhhhhh.  Can't ever recall doing that.

Old enough to know better.
Apparently not wise enough.

And who says with age come's wisdom?

Min

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 05, 2005, 03:02:40 PM »

Yeah, me neither.

Graham_UK

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 05, 2005, 03:23:07 PM »

Me neither

But I have learnt two new words

Orgasm and Washing

I wonder what they mean and if they are connected.

A thousand lips, A thousand tongues, A thousand throats, A thousand lungs, A thousand ways to make it true.

bhill

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.craigandjamiearepoor.com
« Reply #184 on: April 05, 2005, 09:13:50 PM »

since this is random.  I would just like to say Jeeem Bum.  It's a made ou word but to friends and i has become the most versatile words in the english language (as well as the password to get into heaven)

Min

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 06, 2005, 01:18:37 PM »

I just got an email that said this:

"I can't believe you guys took something as sweet and innocent as a man's
love for wearing princess crowns and turned it into something weird."

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 06, 2005, 02:06:29 PM »

Quote from: Detta
I just got an email that said this:

"I can't believe you guys took something as sweet and innocent as a man's
love for wearing princess crowns and turned it into something weird."

Oooh I remember you on cam with that tiara!

Min

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 06, 2005, 02:20:35 PM »

Yeah.  The guys broke it with their fat heads.  I guess I better go buy a new one before the next poker night.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #188 on: April 08, 2005, 04:04:57 PM »

Here is a conversation I just had with my boss via text message:

Me: Hey can you get me a cheeseburger

Him: Really

Me: Yes unless they are out then a wad of napkins covered in mustard

I'm waiting to see what he brings back.

Min

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 08, 2005, 04:11:35 PM »

I always have to ask for my napkins without mustard.  They don't automatically come that way down here like they do up in new york.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 08, 2005, 05:59:04 PM »

Canadians eating mustard... I've never heard anything quite that funny before.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #191 on: April 08, 2005, 06:14:40 PM »

It was a normal cheeseburger. :( Also, what does that ^^ mean? Is there something else I should be doing with mustard?
 :?:

Min

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 09, 2005, 12:21:15 AM »

ahahahahahahahaha!  You so crazy Lachreidia!

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 13, 2005, 01:11:27 PM »

Quote from: Lacerda
It was a normal cheeseburger. :( Also, what does that ^^ mean? Is there something else I should be doing with mustard?
 :?:

Were there onions on that sucker?

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #194 on: April 13, 2005, 01:23:09 PM »

If there were, they were tiny and tasteless.

I wonder why my parent's bathroom towels smell like popcorn?

(this is an unconnected thought)

Graham_UK

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 13, 2005, 04:37:55 PM »

On a random note

Have won $500 at online poker tonight, which taking into account my appalling $800 loss over the last two weeks is not very good actually.

But this made me think about superstitions and all

Two weeks ago I broke a mirror, woke up, stretched, reached out for my mirror and put my contact lenses in. Yet instead of putting the mirror back, left it on the bed and stood on it later.

Since then  I have had really bad "superficial" luck, Superficial meaning I havent died or lost a leg etc, just everyday situations have rolled against me. Small auto accident, crazy sets of circumstances at work means nothing goes right, just everything really.

Now I am the biggest agnostic around, hmmm agnostic suggests undecided, I am probably on the atheist side of that line. But I am not a superstitious or religous being.

Yet I was told that if I buried the broken pieces of the mirror my luck would improve.

And I actually considered it !! Haven't done it but still not sure.

Any thoughts on  superstitions / luck

If rabbits feet are lucky, and the rabbit had four of them, Weird Tingly Feeling

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 13, 2005, 05:46:12 PM »

I always bite a pair of shoes when I first buy them. This way, they know who is in charge and they won't bite my feet when I wear them. (New shoes stopped hurting my feet when I started this strange practice.)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Nowledge

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +15/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 13, 2005, 06:12:26 PM »

Hmmm Biter....

::Offer rescended::

dcrog

• Banned on the run
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +253/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 13, 2005, 07:23:52 PM »

Quote from: Graham_UK
Yet instead of putting the mirror back, left it on the bed and stood on it later.

I'm not very superstitious so I don't think the mirror would bother me.

But the question's I have are these:

Didn't your mother teach you not to stand on the bed?

Why were you standing on the bed anyway?

Mayhaps it's one of those UK things that I just don't understand.

Old enough to know better.
Apparently not wise enough.

And who says with age come's wisdom?

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 14, 2005, 12:47:51 AM »

Sometimes I have to stand on the bed in order to change the lightbulb that is directly above.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 230