The Geek Forum

• May 08, 2024, 10:26:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129618
  • Total Topics: 7184
  • Online Today: 147
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Cerebal Palsy  (Read 3329 times)

TerrorDronze

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +22/-10
  • I'm not narcissistic, I'm just awesome.
    • View Profile
Cerebal Palsy
« on: December 21, 2004, 10:46:32 AM »

Needles and I were having a discussion while derailing a thread in the noob section, and I decided to start this thread for anyone who cares to ask any questions about my disorder.
Wait, so the might-be-a-bot isn't dead?!

needles

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +4/-0
    • View Profile
Cerebal Palsy
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 10:51:15 AM »

besides speculating on how the trauma occured, what sorts of treatments/ therapies have you done?
hey! i have enough loot to buy a sig!

TerrorDronze

• Hacker
    • View Profile
Cerebal Palsy
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 10:57:30 AM »

Physical/occupational therapy mainly, as well as a Rhizotomy (i believe the spelling is correct, if not, oh well), wherein, they cut open your back and cut nerve rootlets going to your limbs.  the limbs in question for me were my legs.  this serves to reduce the number of erratic nerve impulses and lessen the number of spazms that occur.  unfortunately i'm stuck with numb spots throughout both my legs as a result.  I also wore an ankle brace from age 18 mos to about 7 years.

Other invasive procedures are availible to lengthen my shortened flexor tendons (the ones along the bottom of your arm that close your fingers), as well as botox therapy, neither of which i'm in a position to do right now.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
Cerebal Palsy
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 10:59:11 AM »

So it's a nerve disorder, then? In the same family as Multiple Sclerosis?

TerrorDronze

• Hacker
    • View Profile
Cerebal Palsy
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 11:03:59 AM »

I'm not all that familiar with the causality of MS, but Cerebal Palsy is a neuromuscular disorder caused by a legion or legions on the brain's motor control regions, causing spazms and as a result, shortened tendons.  my case isn't severe enough to notice outright, but if you pay attention, you'll see symptoms.  my right arm and hand tend to "chicken-wing" as my step father so compassionately used to put it, but i'm not going to get into that.  i have most of the facial control of a normal person, so my speech is rarely impeded by it, but is occasionally.

needles

• Computer Whore
    • View Profile
Cerebal Palsy
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 11:04:11 AM »

hm i didn't realise botox was actually useful for something besides hollywood.  learn something new every day i reckon.

What is Botulinum toxin?
Botulinum toxin is a protein that is produced by the anaerobic bacterium Clostridium Botulinum. C. Botulinum was once known only as the culprit of the often fatal food poisoning known as botulism, which can result from eating improperly canned foods. The bacteria causes muscle paralysis by blocking the presynaptic release of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. Normally, acetylcholine plays a vital role in sending messages from the nerves to the muscles that "tell" the muscles to move. The area where the nerve meets the muscle is called the synapse, and "presynaptic release" refers to the secretion of acetylcholine by the nerve cell. When the synaptic transmission is blocked, the muscle to which that nerve is attached becomes paralyzed.

TerrorDronze

• Hacker
    • View Profile
Cerebal Palsy
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 11:07:04 AM »

paralyze the muscles to help work on stretching the tendon, makes live a hell of a lot easier.  btw.... it does'nt keep me from playing paintball, either.

needles

• Computer Whore
    • View Profile
Cerebal Palsy
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004, 12:00:42 PM »

the reason (well not the only reason.) that i am interested is because my brother is severely brain damaged due to a gunshot wound which has resulted in paraysis, blindness in one eye etc etc. motor and speech problems (obviously).  also he has severe seizures. i really hope one day brain and nervous system injuries can be treated. of course not with georgey   porgy the 50 some year old wuderkind as the leader of the free world. stupid scientists! that'll show them.

TerrorDronze

• Hacker
    • View Profile
Cerebal Palsy
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2004, 07:59:59 AM »

brain repair isn't an easy task, in fact, for all the knowledge of how the brain woks, they have very little on the why parts of it.  Perhaps, one day they will manage to get around these pro-life idiots that are too blind to see the advantages and avenues that stem-cell research can open up in that area and actually come up with some true regenerative treatments for neural and brain damage.  allowing, perhaps one day for your brother to have a healthy, full, and independant life, and maybe allow me to feel parts of my legs again.  I don't wish brain damage on anyone, and i feel for your brother, i know in my heart, that with a little work on his part, he'll manage.  I know people a lot worse off than me that have done so much more.  I hope, like you, that one day there will be a cure or treatment to make a true dent in these areas.

needles

• Computer Whore
    • View Profile
Cerebal Palsy
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 10:10:17 AM »

i will never understand the logic behind pro-lifers being anti-stem cell research.

W t M F?!!?!?

*passes out*

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
Cerebal Palsy
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2004, 10:17:00 AM »

Quote from: needles
i will never understand the logic behind pro-lifers being anti-stem cell research.

W t M F?!!?!?

*passes out*

Or being pro-death penalty.

TerrorDronze

• Hacker
    • View Profile
Cerebal Palsy
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2004, 10:43:18 AM »

that's the religious right for ya.  bunch of dumbasses.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
Cerebal Palsy
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2004, 09:22:38 PM »

Quote from: TerrorDronze
Perhaps, one day they will manage to get around these pro-life idiots that are too blind to see the advantages and avenues that stem-cell research can open up in that area and actually come up with some true regenerative treatments for neural and brain damage.  allowing, perhaps one day for your brother to have a healthy, full, and independant life, and maybe allow me to feel parts of my legs again.

NO MURDERING ALREADY DEAD DEAD BABIES   :x

In all seriousness, how much do the symptoms of CP vary? I recently found out a friend of mine has mild CP, and I never knew.

Poet_Genie

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Cerebal Palsy
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2004, 11:42:18 AM »

Quote from: catwritr
So it's a nerve disorder, then? In the same family as Multiple Sclerosis?

To answer your question Yes. It sounds like Terror has a harder case. There are 3 different levels to this disorder and none of which are any fun to deal with. M.S and C.P are in the same family. Both have the same type of effects on a persons body and both need the same kind of treatments. Lupus is also a form of M.S - Lupus is what i have and Its no fun. I couldnt even imagine the things terror has had to go through.

TerrorDronze

• Hacker
    • View Profile
Cerebal Palsy
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2004, 07:35:51 PM »

Lacerda:
The symptoms don't vary all that much, in simple terms, there's a mild to moderate amount of damage to the brain's motor control region, which causes sort of scrambled signals to the various nerve endings that control various muscles.  It tends to be a real bith to fix the problems, and the resulting damage, but generally, the symptoms include overly spastic muscles in the arms, legs, face, and sometimes in the torso area (chest, abdomen, and back), depending on severity.  I've met and talked to a lot of people who have cases much worse than mine.... occasionally, i'll slur my words when speaking, but as far as the effects on my body, i'm only really affected in my right arm and leg, but the symptoms are the same nonetheless, or at least they were before my surgery.  the aftermath of it still remains, my flexor tendons in my right wrist and my hamstring in my right leg are shorter than they should be, so if i stand straight-legged i tend to lean to one side, without a wedge or a lift in my shoe.  In a lot of milder cases, including mine, people don't even notice it, although, and i don't know if i had mentioned it before, but i actually had one person mistake me for gay, because of the way my wrist hangs.

Poet_Genie:
I really haven't had too much to deal with physically, honestly.  or maybe i think that because i've never had a completely normal life, and thus have nothing to compare against.  It sucks that you have lupis, and i wish you the best on that, and hoping for your sake that it's not too bad, as lupis, by it's nature is severely degenerative.  some people have given me funny stares, as i'm sure you've gotten, but after a while, at least for me, you learn to tell 'em to fuck off, and take a picture, it'll last longer.  Although i don't wish a neuromuscular disorder on anyone, the cognative side of the brain tends to be stronger as a result.  The human body tends to fix those types of things, or at least compensate.  You have my sypathy, and my sincerest wishes of hope for your future and a long and healthy life.