The Geek Forum

• May 11, 2024, 09:42:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 158
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Zoom or Quality  (Read 2059 times)

seannyboy

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Zoom or Quality
« on: July 25, 2005, 11:49:56 PM »

I'm in the market for a digital camera and after awhile, I realized one thing. I can get a camera that takes good quality pictures (4 to 5 megapixels) with a 10X zoom, or I can get a camera that takes great quality pictures (5 to 8 megapixels) with a 2X or at most a 4X zoom. I would like something with a lot of megapixels and a good zoom....does a camera like that even exist? give me your opinions and any ideas on the topic.
roll with it....

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
Zoom or Quality
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 06:51:09 AM »

Typical users don't need to go beyond 4 mega pixels. Mega pixels will have no influence on quality. The higher the mega pixels are, the bigger the pictures will be physically. Unless it is your intention to print life size posters of your self ( or is that yourself  :lol: ), I wouldn't waste my money on anything above 5 mega pixels, but I would be quite happy with 4 mp. Save your money! 4mp will enable you to print decent pictures up to 11X14. If you need anything bigger, I suspect it would be the odd case, and you could get that 11x14 blown up in a print shop or do it yourself with an image editing software. The bigger you go from that point, the less image quality you'll have.

When you look at zoom, there is optical zomm and digital zoom. Ignore the digital zoom number has this essentially fakes a real zoom by mergin pixels into bigger ones, and this in turn diminishes the photo quality. I never use the digital zoom and don't recomend that anyone uses it unless they don't care about photo quality, or are desperate stockers on a budget. Typical optical zooms are usually around 3-4X on most cameras but you can go beyond that too, but then your selection becomes more limited. If zooming is important for you, either go for 10-12x optical zoom, or look for a camera that will allow you to use different lens (which would be purchased seperatly).

Brands: You'll get different opinions on this depending on who you talk too. Here's mine:

Don't get a Kodak. That company is having a hard time and they are layoffing people left and right. Besides, you can get a better quality camera from other brands.

Fujifilm are apparently very good camera's, altough they tend to have a "lemon" model once in a blue moon. Make sure to research the model before you purchase (this applies to any brand). The downside with fujifilms is that they use XD cards for memory and those are usually 30-40% more expensive than compact flash or SD. They are also harder to find because some stores don't even bother to carry them since they are not widely used.

Sony's use a Sony memory stick, which is their own basterdized version of a CF card. Which means you'll pay more per MB than a CF or SD card. Sony camera's are decent. Not the best, not the worse.

Canon is my personal favourite brand. I own one and I'm quite happy with it. What I like about it it the simplicity to use it, and the advance modes that will give you 100% control over how the camera behaves. A lot of camera's do this (fully manual), but always verify what presets come with a camera. The other thing I like about canons is that they generally use AA batteries. I don't like to battery packs that you need to charge every 3 day and that is way over priced when you want to buy a back up battery. I preffer buying rechargable AA batteries. The other thing about AA batteries is that it makes the camera bigger/heavier so it feels like I'm holding a real camera and not some tiny uncomfortable button crammed unit that feels like it's going to cripple in my hands. Finally, most Canons now use SD memory cards which are reliable and cheaper.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
Zoom or Quality
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 08:59:37 AM »

You also might want to give Nikon a shot. I have used several of their cameras in the past and have been pleased at their ease of use and the quaility of their pictures. I used this model for a while.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Zoom or Quality
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 11:49:36 AM »

My wife and I have a 3.5 megapixel Olympus camera that we absolutely love.  It takes excellent pictures, and it's pretty easy to use.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
Zoom or Quality
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 03:47:20 PM »

I bought a 2 or 3 megapixel camera for $100 recently, it takes pictures and shoots videos.
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

johnus

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kvfx.net/
Zoom or Quality
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 07:04:10 PM »

Personally, I'd go for a slightly lower-MP camera with higher zoom, than one with fewer MPs. I find I use zoom quite a bit; it's really nice to have at times. I like Canons and Casios (some Exilims). Yes, try to get a camera with as many manually-operated options as possible! Unless you really like pure point-and-shoot simplicity.
john

v2sw4hw6ln6/7pr3Ock5/6ma7u5w8TXm3l4/2i7NTe4t5NSFAVXEb7en7g6AHCMHPa23Is5Mr2p9 hackerkey.com