The Geek Forum

• May 09, 2024, 08:08:45 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129621
  • Total Topics: 7185
  • Online Today: 154
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: big ass problem  (Read 8468 times)

Netrack

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
big ass problem
« on: September 12, 2002, 03:37:28 PM »

yeah, ok im building a computer, so far it only stays on for 5 secs, it will stay on with everything else hooked in, but soon as i put the cpu in, it will only stay on for 5 secs or so... its an amd 1.8 XP...i have the correct jumpers... ne ideas?

hob goblin

• Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +2/-2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ice-on-fire.net
big ass problem
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2002, 03:51:21 PM »

How does a computer run without a proccessor?

It could be ... TONS of things

x222943

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.deafening-urge.net
big ass problem
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2002, 03:53:28 PM »

how about you give us some more detailed info... such as the motherboard manufacturer, model... other hardware hooked up... what power supply your using... flaming idiot... probably cooking the cpu... heres a good question... do you have a heatsink on it? ;)

Netrack

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
big ass problem
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2002, 04:09:01 PM »

yes dumbshit, i do have a heat sink, its a CPU cooler with heat pip (on the box it says "#1 choice for overclocking") iTs a gygabyte GA-7vrxp mother board, with dual bios, AMD Xp 1.8 gghz, radeon 128mg vid card 9000 series, dolbiy 5.1 mp3 live creative live series, pw supply is an agi 300w supply.  No shit the computer wont work with out a processor, but when i have everything else hoocked up, and i turn it on, the computer stays on, when i hook in the cpu and turn the computer on it turns off after roughly 5 seconds

hob goblin

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
big ass problem
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2002, 04:12:46 PM »

90% chance you either:

a) fucked up putting the chip in
b) fucked up seating the RAM, or incompatibal RAM, since the RAM check usually happens a couple seconds after startup.

Anonymous

big ass problem
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2002, 04:13:41 PM »

I would reccomend getting a more powerful power supply for those pieces of hard ware.

SeK612

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +1/-8
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dreamwater.net/cult/
big ass problem
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2002, 04:17:11 PM »

I had a similar problem with my P.C - I think it turned off after 3 seconds. After reading my Mobo manual - its an Abit Kx7 333-R - I realised that it was a problem with the CMOS. After resetting the CMOS jumper everything worked fine.

Hope this helps,

SeK 612

Funnies: 123

Netrack

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
big ass problem
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2002, 05:04:30 PM »

Quote from: hob goblin
90% chance you either:

b) fucked up seating the RAM, or incompatibal RAM, since the RAM check usually happens a couple seconds after startup.

then how come it stays on when ram is in but when i put the processor in, it fucks up?, the ram is compatible, and i didnt fuck up putting it in.

Netrack

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
big ass problem
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2002, 05:05:54 PM »

Quote from: SeK612
I had a similar problem with my P.C - I think it turned off after 3 seconds. After reading my Mobo manual - its an Abit Kx7 333-R - I realised that it was a problem with the CMOS. After resetting the CMOS jumper everything worked fine.

Hope this helps,

SeK 612

how do u go about doing that? i cant get into the bios or ne thing

hob goblin

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
big ass problem
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2002, 05:26:23 PM »

Quote from: Netrack
Quote from: hob goblin
90% chance you either:

then how come it stays on when ram is in but when i put the processor in, it fucks up?, the ram is compatible, and i didnt fuck up putting it in.

How come you talk back when I am helping? Have fun with your shitty computer...

Anonymous

big ass problem
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2002, 05:27:42 PM »

Quote from: Netrack

how do u go about doing that? i cant get into the bios or ne thing

Look in your mother board's manual on how to reset the BIOS. It's a jumper that you will have to pull out, but you're going to need that maual to find out where it's located.

Netrack

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
big ass problem
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2002, 08:35:22 PM »

first off hob, i was not talking back to u, i used the same words u used in ur post... ne ways, im building another computer at the current time, once that one is finished im gonna interchange parts till i hopefully find the defect if i cant get this one to work..  i tired pulling out the battery on my board, and that didnt do ne thing

hob goblin

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
big ass problem
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2002, 08:37:25 PM »

One time when I was setting up a board the jumper settings were set to Reset CMOS, so it never started up... after about 5 minutes I figured out the problem though.

SeK612

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +1/-8
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dreamwater.net/cult/
big ass problem
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2002, 02:37:54 AM »

My reset jumper is a yellowish colour and is located near the front of the whole unit - near the LED and sound case leads. Still its a tiny jumper - 3 pin - and I would advise that you read your Mobo manual like others have suggested.

SeK 612

Funnies: 123

Anonymous

big ass problem
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2002, 08:43:57 AM »

Another question, when you power up your PC, do you hear any Bips from the internal speaker? (Maybe it doesn't even get to that point yet). However, if you do hear some beeps, you motherboard manual will have a section on the different types of sound your board will produce for a specific problem. For example, Ram problems could be indentified with three consecutive small beeps. If you hear a single beep and nothing else, then all the component test have passed succesfully.

Jumper settings: I don't know how you have setup your jumpers for CPU speed but look in your manual to get the configuration for auto-detect CPU and restart the PC. If that doesn't work, try the configuration to manually set the CPU speed at 1.8 and if that still doesn't work, try a lower speed. If all of this still doesn't work, it appears to me as though you may have fried your CPU. If you have another CPU kicking around, try to put that one in and see what happens.

For the comment on 300W supply not being enough power, I disagree. 300W is enough to run your system.

If you still have no luck, bring your PC in a shop and pay someone who knows what they are doing to get it up and running.

Netrack

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
big ass problem
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2002, 02:14:13 PM »

i have tried the auto and the defualt settings for the jumper, i do have another cpu a duron 900, i tried it and nothing happened, i hear no beeps at all either, im thinking i have a bad mother board

x222943

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
big ass problem
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2002, 03:18:44 PM »

1. you should have a minimum of a 400 watt power supply with that setup and the hardware you have.
2. insufficent power supply to power all the hardware will also cause this. remove some components, such as the sound card, and video card, and use the onboard video and try it.... this is what im guessing it is, or an incompatable power supply with the setup you have... yes some are... check that... did you even read any compatability sheets before starting out on this?
3. incorrectly seated ram, video card, and other mis-seated periphials, such as anything in the pci slots, can cause no video, and the system to not turn on, or shut off as soon as it powers up.
4. if you have the wrong kind of ram, it wont post.... you should have pc2100/pc2700 ddr.
5. if you ran across the carpet, scraping your heels across the floor, holding parts, and they are probably dead from you dragging your heels, that can also cause no video, and the system not to post.
6. im doubting you know how to set jumpers
7. i wonder if you have a hard drive in it...
8. if you put the heatsink on wrong, or crooked, or didnt seat it right, most newer motherboards have a feature that will do a hard shutdown if the cpu exceeds a certain temperature, this can also cause it.
9. if the cpu is dead, this will also cause this.
10. if the motherboard was dead, it wouldnt power on.
11. check the jumper settings again.
12. reset the cmos, that jumper is usually near the cmos batterey, again, RTFM
13. make sure the raid jumpers are set correctly, im pretty sure you should have some for that...
14. check the fsb setting for the jumpers.
15. you shouldnt be doing this in the first place.

hob goblin

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
big ass problem
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2002, 03:42:55 PM »

i must stress the last one

Netrack

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
big ass problem
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2002, 03:53:46 PM »

im not a complete dumbass, this is roughly my tenth computer that i have built...

1. you should have a minimum of a 400 watt power supply with that setup and the hardware you have.

i will have to look into this, but.. it should be compatible

2. insufficent power supply to power all the hardware will also cause this. remove some components, such as the sound card, and video card, and use the onboard video and try it.... this is what im guessing it is, or an incompatable power supply with the setup you have... yes some are... check that... did you even read any compatability sheets before starting out on this?

yes i did read them all actully,i only have the processor hooked up with the fan and it still does this... its not on long enough for the video to even come up.. there are no beeps either when it turns on

3. incorrectly seated ram, video card, and other mis-seated periphials, such as anything in the pci slots, can cause no video, and the system to not turn on, or shut off as soon as it powers up.

i have pc2700 ddr, yet again i turn it on with only the cpu hooked up and this problem still persits.. if take out the cpu but hook everthing else up.. it stays on
4. if you have the wrong kind of ram, it wont post.... you should have pc2100/pc2700 ddr.

i have pc2700

5. if you ran across the carpet, scraping your heels across the floor, holding parts, and they are probably dead from you dragging your heels, that can also cause no video, and the system not to post.

didnt do that, touched the case and the non static bags everytime before i handled parts

actully i do.... not that hard to filp the lil white switches, i also tried them on lower settings thatn the 1.8, also on defualt, with still no luck
7. i wonder if you have a hard drive in it...

wouldnt matter, i dont think, it is hooked up and does spin up for the time
that its on

8. if you put the heatsink on wrong, or crooked, or didnt seat it right, most newer motherboards have a feature that will do a hard shutdown if the cpu exceeds a certain temperature, this can also cause it.

thought that also.. but heat sink and fan are placed and mounted correctly, also even tried have other fans pointing at it to see if that helps

9. if the cpu is dead, this will also cause this.

could be, or may be my mother board
10. if the motherboard was dead, it wouldnt power on.

i dont think its completely dead just the cpu recptors

11. check the jumper settings again.

did that several times, also had my brother who is an electrical engineer/MIS major look at it, and he doesnt know..

12. reset the cmos, that jumper is usually near the cmos batterey, again, RTFM

did that, and took out the battery and put it back in

13. make sure the raid jumpers are set correctly, im pretty sure you should have some for that...

i do.. and they are correct

i did, i put it on the defult of 100 mhz, although i can have it on 133, also tried that one too
15. you shouldnt be doing this in the first place

y not, i do it all the time.. like i said this is my tenth or so.. i have had problems in the past, but i can work around software problems.. but i cant even get that far

x222943

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
big ass problem
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2002, 04:03:08 PM »

were laughing really hard over what you posted... such as

actully i do.... not that hard to filp the lil white switches, i also tried them on lower settings thatn the 1.8, also on defualt, with still no luck

rofl... "lil white switches"

i did, i put it on the defult of 100 mhz, although i can have it on 133, also tried that one too

default should be 266... possibly 333...

and i can tell from what you posted, this is not your tenth system...

hob goblin

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
big ass problem
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2002, 04:12:51 PM »

i learned about 99.5% of the stuff brandon posted, on my FIRST system as well.

Netrack

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
big ass problem
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2002, 04:32:04 PM »

if u wouldnt mind taking 2 mins out of your very busy lives and goto

http://tw.giga-byte.com/support/support.htm

u will prolly have to click on user manuals

select Ga-7vrxp

goto the bottom of page 13..

well its the system bus frequency not the front side bus.. idk how i could ever get those confused

Netrack

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
big ass problem
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2002, 04:35:33 PM »

i could care less if u belive me or not.. thats not why im here, i have never had a problem anything like this, which is why im asking

x222943

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
big ass problem
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2002, 04:44:53 PM »

why would you get a board that significantly slows the system bus?

Netrack

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
big ass problem
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2002, 04:56:53 PM »

becasue it got alot of good reviews, dual bios, 8 usb...
Pages: [1] 2