The Geek Forum

• May 09, 2024, 07:58:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129621
  • Total Topics: 7185
  • Online Today: 154
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Author Topic: Viruses  (Read 28715 times)

SeK612

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +1/-8
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dreamwater.net/cult/
Viruses
« on: September 23, 2002, 05:34:49 AM »

I was just wondering what kind of security you need on your P.C to stop viruses. I have Norton Anti-virus. Is this enough? I did have Zone Alarm Pro but since downloading an updated version it stopped working. Is it a necessity? I also have one file on my P.C - its an image - which shows a blank square when opened and yet refuses to be deleted. I have just done a full computer scan and it wasn't picked up but its still alittle worring. Does Norton Anitvirus pick up the ones that are programmed to go off at a certain time? I'm just a little nervous as yesterday I was alerted to a Worm virus hidden behind a program. Admittedly it wouldn't have been too bad if it had been opened - it just sent information from media files on the hard drive and spreaded copies of itself under different names across the hard drive but its unsettling.

SeK 612

Funnies: 123

Anonymous

Viruses
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2002, 06:38:42 AM »

The most common popular virus scans will generally be sufficient protection, as long as you regurlarly download updates of your virus definition files. If you simply install a virus scan and never updated, then you are increasing the chances of being contaminated since new viruses come out every day.

Anonymous

Viruses
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2002, 02:10:12 PM »

That's a good point, Judge. A lot of people that use the Nortan Anti-Virus program don't even know that they have to update their virus defionitions every once and a while - about once a week. Not that I'm saying you fall into that category Sek, but it's just another one of those things that a good deal of people using the internet (and perhaps reading this right now) forget, or don't even know to do.

It really depends on what you have on your computer, and how bad people will want it. For the average user, you will not really need anything more than Norton Anti-Virus or some other AV program to do weekly scans on your computer, and a firewall to give you some more security. Most of the times if you're on a broadband network, you're going to be behind a firewall, and you don't really need to use another software-based firewall on your computer because the router or switch will act as one for you.

hob goblin

• Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +2/-2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ice-on-fire.net
Viruses
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2002, 04:13:12 PM »

you have to remember, zone alarm acts a wonderful gateway, so even if a backdoor gets in, it won't get out.

Netrack

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Viruses
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2002, 06:46:28 PM »

i use nortans firewall and AV, suprisingly it came free with my motherboard. Now its only a 120 day trial, but i can crak it or find a crak out there sumwhere

blitzrieg bop

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Viruses
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2002, 07:24:33 PM »

My Norton Anti- Virus that came with my computer has yet to fail me! The weekly updates run and then I'm all good!

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Viruses
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2002, 04:14:31 PM »

I thought Norton Virus-Scan had a "LiveUpdate" that updated your scanner AUTOMATICALLY every so-often, or whenver there's a new upgrade.

I use that, and it auto-ups it for me. I dunno about YOU though.

Anonymous

Viruses
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2002, 04:43:17 PM »

Give the average computer user about three months using their computer and they'll begin to feel brave. That means they'll start trying to free up CPU resources and get rid of tasks that they don't know anything about, and that includes Live update since they'll think it's actually running Live all the time, and always is taking up a good deal of processing power.

SeK612

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
Viruses
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2002, 04:57:04 AM »

hmmm. I did let Live update run to begin with but it kept appearing as a program that needed acess to the net and since I didn't quite know what it was I disallowed it most of the time. But after reading these messages I grant it acess whenever it needs it :D

hob goblin

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
Viruses
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2002, 03:44:02 PM »

Liveupdate is run as a task in windows task manager, as chris said, alot of people turn this off. Some even think "Liveupdate?! What is that?! I didn't install that! I'm going to uninstall it!!".  You know, since alot of them are security nazis anyways, thats why they went out and bought Norton AV in the first place (some, i realize its a good thing to do, but alot of people really don't know crap).  People who delete liveupdate are the same type of people who bitch about kazaa's spyware all the time, and clog their system with 'kazaalite' because kazaa is the devil and it's stealing all information from you.

(ps, no kazaa isn't stealing all your information, mostly what you download FROM THEM, god, all they want to do is serve good ads for you</rant>)

SeK612

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
Viruses
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2002, 04:49:15 PM »

Kazaalite is cool. Not only does it come without spyware its ads free - pretty much - and doesn't come with tons of weird software things which Kazaa spreads on your hard drive - like Bonzi buddy and stuff - which the average user can't get rid of.  I guess the name "spyware" does unerve a few people. But if it makes these people happy wheres the harm.

'kazaalite' because kazaa is the devil and it's stealing all information from you

Is Kazaa really that bad though coz it looks like Kazaalite has gone down and they're not gonna make a version of the new Kazaa.

Banshee

• Geek
  • Coolio Points: +106/-3
  • Baby-Eater
    • View Profile
    • A Shadow Priest
Viruses
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2002, 06:54:11 PM »

Wouldn't a h4x0r think that LiveUpdate, which connects automatically to the net, would be a great way to piggyback malicious packets onto? I guess Norton's h4x0rZ are 13373r.
"Dear pete, lol. U r dum." - Bobert

hob goblin

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
Viruses
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2002, 08:51:35 PM »

Quote from: SeK612
Kazaalite is cool. Not only does it come without spyware its ads free

Really? I'm Not into slowing my software down about five fold just to releave me of a small ad

- pretty much - and doesn't come with tons of weird software things which Kazaa spreads on your hard drive - like Bonzi buddy and stuff - which the average user can't get rid of.

That's odd, it didn't install that for me.  Infact, If i remember, it only installs those things with your permission.

I guess the name "spyware" does unerve a few people. But if it makes these people happy wheres the harm.

because i don't like putting up with their ignorant shit

Is Kazaa really that bad though coz it looks like Kazaalite has gone down and they're not gonna make a version of the new Kazaa.

exactly.

Banshee

• Geek
  • Baby-Eater
    • View Profile
    • A Shadow Priest
Viruses
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2002, 10:03:43 PM »

Kazaa is spyware, hob. Just not what Sek is talking about. Basically, it borrows your CPU power to make a virtual supercomputer. What they do with that is beyond me. Maybe they like finding the next unique prime number?

It's shoddy programming, so why would you want it anyway though? Mine crashes about 95% of the time when it was setting itself to load automatically at startup, so when I finally took it out of the Start menu I was quite pissed at it.

It is the best place to get MP3s that I've ever found, since IRC is so unreliable.

hob goblin

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
Viruses
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2002, 10:08:34 PM »

Quote from: Banshee
Kazaa is spyware, hob. Just not what Sek is talking about. Basically, it borrows your CPU power to make a virtual supercomputer. What they do with that is beyond me. Maybe they like finding the next unique prime number?

Im glad you think that.  It's rather funny that they don't though.  If you agree they will use your computer to serve ads.  By the way, it's called 'distributed computing' and they only use spare cycles at that. ;)

It's shoddy programming, so why would you want it anyway though? Mine crashes about 95% of the time when it was setting itself to load automatically at startup, so when I finally took it out of the Start menu I was quite pissed at it.

you can disable that, either by checking that box in the kazaa options or running msconfig, it's not like they hid it from you.

It is the best place to get MP3s that I've ever found, since IRC is so unreliable.

yes, since audiogalaxy died, and winmx is too full of greedy people who always queue your downloads.

SeK612

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
Viruses
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2002, 08:58:37 AM »

Most people are just fearful of Kazaa slowing down their connection even when they are not using it and Kazaa obtaining information of software on there computer and sites visited and sending them to 3rd party companies and stuff. You can of course combat spyware with programs and dodge your way around it even if you do have the full version of Kazaa. And if your that aginst it you could go for summat like Imesh which has roughly the same resourses and no bundled spyware - so they say.  

Just a point how often do they collect info on you and it is just for ads on Kazaa its self.

Binoboy

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +5/-1
    • View Profile
Viruses
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2002, 10:00:31 AM »

*shrug* I use Morpheus. It sucks but it works on this server where Kazaa doesn't without some portal-opening equipment....
To die, to sleep; To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub... Ha ha! ...'Rub'!

hob goblin

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
Viruses
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2002, 03:55:25 PM »

Just a point how often do they collect info on you and it is just for ads on Kazaa its self.

they aren't tracking as much as everybody makes it seem like, the songs you download, and MAYBE the sites you visit.

SeK612

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
Viruses
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2002, 04:03:00 PM »

they aren't tracking as much as everybody makes it seem like, the songs you download, and MAYBE the sites you visit.

Just music files? Not all the software and movies?

Anyway I just downloaded the new version of Kazaa - the old one crashed and lost about 280 megs of info. When I ran a spyware check it came back negative so I guess thats a good thing. Still has promo stuff but its easy to get rid of. Basically its worth it for the couple of thousand $ I've saved.

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Viruses
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2002, 04:54:27 PM »

So where do I find this "KazaaLite"? I've been having problems with Kazaa every time I use it, so each time I want something I usually re-install it and then un-install it for safety.

Piece of fucking shit, that Kazaa is.

Banshee

• Geek
  • Baby-Eater
    • View Profile
    • A Shadow Priest
Viruses
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2002, 05:16:00 PM »

I wouldn't trust any third party progs myself. They make me nervous and I always have the fear/prejudiced view that they are shoddily coded. I guess Kazaa and a few other Windows third party softs ruined it for me.

hob goblin

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
Viruses
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2002, 07:21:29 PM »

Just music files? Not all the software and movies?

bah, them too... but i usually associate p2p with music, its a habit from napster..

SeK612

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
Viruses
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2002, 06:30:22 AM »

Quote from: Dark Shade
So where do I find this "KazaaLite"? I've been having problems with Kazaa every time I use it, so each time I want something I usually re-install it and then un-install it for safety.

Piece of fucking shit, that Kazaa is.

You get it from here although its going down due to lack of finance and no backer. There were a few downloads of 1.7.2 when I last visted. You also have to do a few weird things with host files an stuff but they have some cool ad and spyware destroyers

Quote from: Hob Goblin
bah, them too... but i usually associate p2p with music, its a habit from napster..

Hmm thats not so good. Isn't there a neo napster too?

Binoboy

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +5/-1
    • View Profile
Viruses
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2002, 12:35:05 PM »

Quote from: hob goblin

Heh heh, how is it people can bitch about "security" when all they're doin is goin into other peoples' computers and taking files/bandwidth from them (well from the grand sum of them anyway). Friggin hypocritical pirates, heh.
To die, to sleep; To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub... Ha ha! ...'Rub'!

iainjones1986

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Viruses
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2002, 09:11:21 AM »

can anyone help me!!?? banshee gave me a virus which opens all my programs in note pad format and i cant use the reload cd that came with my pc.
so if anyone could help me i would be greatful  

thanks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6