The Geek Forum

• May 27, 2024, 07:02:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129665
  • Total Topics: 7207
  • Online Today: 129
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: song writing  (Read 14127 times)

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
Re: song writing
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2006, 09:44:52 AM »

Thank you for your kind words 12. I actually don't write much because I find I'm not very good at it. On the other hand, I guess you could say that for anything you don't practice right? It is however, something I want to get better at.

My problem is that my vocabulary is limited. Well... one of my problems! So I recently started reading novels again to work on that. I try not to force the ideas to come out, at least not at first. When I get a general theme going and a couple of lines I really like, I start from there. Then I work on the text, and later I add the music that I feel would go well with it. Sometimes, I do the opposite. I write the music first in hopes that this will inspire a theme, or an emotion of some kind, and I try to build from there. It's not always easy!

This song I posted, I started with the music. Not a complete or final piece, but at least I had an idea oh the chords and sequence I wanted to use. I play with those a bit, then start humming and exploring for possible melodies. Then, I started working on the text. I did part of it, them put everything away for two months until one day I decided to post in here and then the juices started to flow again.

The recording was just a trial to see if the whole thing has potential. I just turned on a drum beat fro my guitar effect pedal, and I played the entire guitar part in one stretch whith the drums playing on the same track. During the recording, I accidently knocked my pickup switch over a few notches, then brought it back to it's proper settings like a second later (you can note a change in sound, then a pause at some point in the song). Unfortunatly, that broke my concentration and I didn't play the ending as planned and sort of improvised along the way. That's why I said I didn't really like the last 30 seconds or so. It just doesn't fit right and I was too lazy to start over!

Anyway, I find that at random points in the day, an idea will pop into my head. Either I "hear" a melodie, or I put a couple of phrases together. Also, I try not just to draw uppon my personal experiences, but I look at what other people go through and imagine what it's like form them to live a certain event. Like the other day, I was in the shower and tought about a friend who has relationship problems and the following words came into my head:

This beast cannot be tamed
I'll break free from my chains
Tonight I'm runnig free
Like I was meant to be

So I take that little text, and I write it somewhere. Maybe it's something I'll use later. Or maybe not! I think it helps if you keep a log book of ideas. Same thing with music. Either record a rift, or at least right down the chords.

Oh, sometimes you have to force in a sentence. If you want to make things rhyme for examples, don't let a limited vocabulary get you down! Use tools such as this:
http://www.onelook.com/?w=*ing&ls=a
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 09:48:34 AM by TheJudge »

12AX7

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2006, 11:23:54 AM »

Heh... I hear ya. I have seven of those old notebook-style folders stuffed so fat I use elastic velcro straps to hold them shut. Each one is full of partial songs, ideas for songs, and maybe just a phrase or two... I've saved EVERYTHING, lol. It's on things from napkins with a verse scratched on them to actual paper made for writing. Every now and then I come back across one snippet that I have more for; possibly a finished song.
 I have a lot of songs, too, that have what I call "generic" lyrics. [ think *just about any Blues song* ]
 There's no real ...dimension to the lyrics. Like the song "Susie Q"
Oh, susie q, oh, susie q,
Oh, susie q, baby I love you, susie q.
I like the way you walk, I like the way you talk;
I like the way you walk, I like the way you talk, susie q.

...proFOUND! heh...
 But they're good to just enjoy playing to; regardless of the vocals.
 I also have a couple of Cakewalk files ( they are multi-track files) ; and whenever I have an idea; I just hit the shortcut to the file, arm a couple of tracks, and hit "R" ... the result is a file that has around 60+ tracks - each two tracks is a different idea/riff/phrase. I just have them all muted; except the two I'm listening to. This way I store a LOT of song ideas in one file; and am able to open and arm it quickly to capture the riff- since the good ones seem to leave pretty quick and never get remembered. I can always go back and export which ever two stereo tracks I used for any given idea to it's own file and build a song out of it. 
 Actually; all that is set up on my studio pc, which is off for the most part nowadays until I get my studio downstairs installed. THEN YOU SHALL SEE!!!!!!!!!! hehe
 I haven't recorded anything new since 2001 ... my last song was Gemini[/b]
http://www.musichouse.biz/audio/CynicalSunshine/Jay%20Merrifield%20-%20Gemini.mp3
 Since then I've moved three times, and have been aquiring new equipment all along; now I have the place - my basement is 1100 square feet; so I've begun building my dream studio. It is however, coming along kinda slow... although I'm getting a little more motivated about it recently... I'll keep ya posted on that...

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2006, 11:56:08 AM »

That's cool dude! Post pictures of your "in prgoress" studio!
I had a few songs of my own a while back, but they weren't proprely backed up and a certain hard drive incident just HAD to occur. Grrrr!

I have one other mp3 file that I made last year I think. I really like it. It was one of my best. I never added lyrics to it so that could become a project.

I need to get hosting I think. I don't want to suck up all of Chris' bandwith with mp3s!

jean_grey

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +2/-45
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2006, 01:19:49 PM »

I think songwriting is a cool creation of the mind. I know it sounds weird, but it's true. I like writing any song that I can create, but it never helps when a writer's block is in the way of my creativity. That's why I go and listen to Mick Jagger's solo writing style, or Jack Johnson's writing style. One song that i love listening to for a sense of creativity is Mick Jagger's "Brand New Set Of Rules" from his Goddess In The Doorway album. I just love how the guitar parts and the writing style works. Plus it's mellow and soft. I'm not sure whether to call it a ballad or what, but I still like that song. What do you guys think of it?

Mick Jagger - Brand New Set Of Rules
http://www.napster.com/player/tracks/13740561

12AX7

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2006, 03:43:22 PM »

Ah loik Jaggah's stoff. :mrgreen:
 Here's one of mine that has a sorta Stones feel to it. Especially the vocals in the chorus.
 These are some of my better lyrics, I think. I did the piano one-handed, though. I mean, I worked out a bass line for the 'left' hand, and a melodiy for the right; I just never have played em both at the same time, heh. That took forever; I'd play one part, go back and play the other; then re-record the first, then the second again; and again, and again...until it sounded fairly smooth. It sounds like a left and a right hand playing; instead of overdubs. The ..."drums" so-to-speak, are another story entirely. They wholeheartedly SUCK; and they seem to enjoy doing so. It's a very bad rendition of me beating little Casio keyboard keys to play the drums. I suppose I could have made it sound better, but good grief; it'd be easier to buy a drum set, a house, build a studio, and record real drums. So that's what I'm doing, hehehe. Also; I've come a long way vocally since then as well, and I can't wait to get some stuff recorded.
 Anyway; the lyrics I really like- there's a couple of references in there to other art you might know. A painting (actually a reprint that left with her), and a poem by Robert Frost.

So ah rotes a sawng aboutit.Wannahearit?Hereitgo...

Say Goodbye[/i]

Say Goodbye to the summer rain
Winter winds are whipping
Dark clouds; rolling in
I am alone again
You went away and I
Say goodbye to the summer rain

Fade to grey
From summer blue
Starry Nights
Left with you
Everything green has turned to grey
They say Nothing Gold Can Stay
You went away and I

Ooo, I love you so
And I never ever wanna let you go

Tomorrow is outside the door
I can hear the cold world roar
But my purpose left that day
Now every day is just another day
You went away and I

Scheherazade

• The Lorax Of Nose Pickers
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +177/-54
  • What is cheese but a corpse of milk?
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2006, 08:51:41 AM »

I write songs! Although I must admit, I can't write the lyrics and music for the same song.

I'm a really good lyricist, and an ok composer, but for some reason I can't make lyrics that I've written and music work together. Besides, I compose better for a string and wind orchestra, not for a bluegrass/southern rock band.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2006, 11:03:52 AM »

The Summer Rain song is really mellow. I like it. It's countryish too. As I listened to the song, I could almost picture you on a horse (No no... not like that you pervs!) just siting there, letting the horse take you whereever is decides to go, slowing walking under a dark cloud with the rider song, head down. There's a video for you! hehe!

12AX7

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2006, 06:56:32 AM »

Thanks! I like that image/idea. If I try to do a video for that; I could use that...

I'll have some pictures one day. Remeber me asking for advice on a camera/camcorder? Well, I haven't been able to get one yet; so for now, I'm still camera - less, except for my webcam; and something is wrong with the LCD display; and you cant read it. There are three still pic modes on it, and one video mode; so without being able to see anything on the display; I cant use it unless it's plugged in to the comp, and I use the software to operate it. My longest USB cable is 15 feet, so, no going downstairs. I had a bunch of pics of the construction of the studio; but I have no clue where they are now. Anywa, so that's why no pics yet, heh. 

IFOUNDWALDO176

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +32/-57
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2006, 11:03:19 PM »

Heres something that I wrote, I can't sing and can't play any instruments well, so I don't have an exact tune for it.

Fear
Fear is something I continue to live with
I'm fighting it daily like a terminal illness
Life on this earth is a constant phobia
Living within the most battle hardened warrior
Anyone living in a life that's beyond fear
Is someone who's living in a place that's beyond here
The life that we lead is plagued by doubt
the fear is something that we all know about
so don't stop to think, no you can't even blink 
You'll think of the fear, then you'll run back to here
And I live in a dream and the dream is of fear
So the fear is my life because she left me here.
"OB draws his Flaming Sword of Dumbass-Slaying +3 and strikes a heroic pose." -Odd Bloke
"Anyone goes near my wallpaper and I go all Aaron Burr on their asses." -Detta
"Administrator is god.  But not on a Windows box." Demo

12AX7

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2006, 09:38:21 AM »

Nice work, there, IfoundWaldo.

12AX7

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2006, 09:50:14 AM »

Ok - fiddled with my cam and got some pics; rough though they be.
The green / unfinished room will be the live room; and the red room will (eventually) be a separate control room. At first, however, everything will be set up in the green room - including the console and equipment racks. Tha way I can go ahead and have the studio
 operational while I'm working on the control room.
This first pic is the outside of the back wall of the green room; finished, it will be a hallway with a bathroom at the far end.

Behind this black plastic will be the huge triple-paned window between the Live room and the Control room.

These two are the red room; with all my equipment just stuffed in there...

and this last one is how it was setup back when LG and I were in the apartment in Dawsonville; when she was DJing on ErrorFM...

« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 10:21:54 AM by 12AX7 »

Scheherazade

• Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2006, 11:08:15 AM »

Did anyone else notice all the orbs in the second photo?

12AX7, I believe your future live room is haunted.

12AX7

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2006, 11:14:17 AM »

:-D Yeah, I ran those by Art Bell; he says I'm ok.

Scheherazade

• Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2006, 11:27:50 AM »

As long as there's no danger; your safety is really all I'm concerned about.

8-)

morons.inc

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-24
  • JUNE, I want my life back, JUNE
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2006, 01:02:13 PM »

Just something i came up with a week ago

Rain on me...

Feel my scars, come oh friend
let us loose all that we pretend
Can you see me expose myself?
Being a treat to the needy eye
Am I not being myself?
Selling my soul, living a lie
You cant tell right from wrong
How could she be so pure?
Burn in your fire, everlong
Need I ask you anymore?

Feel my face, come oh friend
see me smile and understand
Just another day, another rain
rain on me, it rains on me
How do you ease this pain?
I loathe this rain, it rains on me
Come be my guiding light
Come be my shiny star
Solitary, I walk this night
Light this path from afar

The rain in me too, wants to pour
Am I asking too much of you?
I am mine forever more
One final request, I beg of you

All I ask is a shoulder to cry on
I promise I wont soak your dress
I promise I wont wash you away...

help me... Its been raining on me since forever...
emotionally unstable and mentally challeneged

Scheherazade

• Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2006, 12:22:47 PM »

I started writing a song last night. It's southern-rock, but I haven't finished it yet. I only have one verse and the chorus, not even a title or anything...and I inserted a bourbon-and-donuts reference. :-D I'll post it once I've finished it.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2006, 07:15:41 AM »

*bump*

I have a song I recorded about two years ago or so. A few of you heard it before.  I haven't touched it since, but if someone wanted to record lyrics over it, that would be cool.

http://www.musichouse.biz/audio/Judge/unamed.mp3

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2006, 11:10:14 AM »

I like that tune.  It came on my ipod the other day.  Your TehHackerNetworkSong though is freakin' brilliant.

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2006, 01:57:31 PM »

Great song Judge! I'm always impressed with your work!  :-D

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2006, 04:18:25 PM »

Sorry this is so late, but if any of you guys want me to put any of your pieces of work on the Featured Music section of The Geekery, just let me know (Either PM me, or reply here). I've been meaning to try and update it with some new material for a while now. There are some pretty good pieces of work in this thread. A hell of a lot better than anything I could come up with. Good job guys!

Levy

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +15685/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2006, 12:42:34 PM »

I really like that Judge, I have a small town band... I have made a site with a few songs on and some info about us, I would suggest you lauch the mp3 player on it the videos are really bad, they were filmed on a little cam-corder.
I'm the drummer...

http://www.nunsgun.co.uk/

Feedback is appriciated, good, or bad  :-)

Any chance for an invite to your studio 12AX7:-o
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 12:46:55 PM by Levy »

12AX7

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2007, 11:24:01 AM »

Any chance for an invite to your studio 12AX7:-o
Um... sure.

Well, still not quite finished, but it's only trim and artwork left, really. The bare wood you see will be stained, there'll be artwork and Auralex Foam on the walls, and the drum kit will actually go in another room when that one's finished. The big window needs to be trimmed in and the plastic removed from the Lexan. But you see what it's like finished, basically.

http://www.musichouse.biz/desktop/vids/video1.mpg  <-- 11M
http://www.musichouse.biz/desktop/vids/video2.mpg  <--  9M     

12AX7

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2007, 07:38:03 PM »

Nightvision so you can sse the detail (studios can be some dark places, lol)

12AX7

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2007, 07:39:56 PM »

and here are my Lovers...

The blond Fender acoustic is BRAND NEW! :-D

12AX7

« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2007, 09:43:42 PM »

and some more various pics....

Pages: 1 [2] 3