The Geek Forum

• May 11, 2024, 06:37:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 153
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Reformating  (Read 2801 times)

Unleashed

• My Space Emo Attention Whore
  • Coolio Points: +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://groups.msn.com/piksandbdates/shoebox.msnw
Reformating
« on: October 18, 2002, 03:36:33 AM »

A friend of mine bought a computer from her sister for cheap .. but the damn thing runs so slow you could get a half a days work in before one page loads. The server she is going thru is lisco which I haven't heard much about I personally run on cable. I already deleted all the cookies, files and history. I checked the installed programs and she is only showing like five programs that have been installed. I didn't check the MB of Ram tho. It's a packard bell and runs on windows 98. I did all the updates and that didn't seem to help it. I am wondering if it's possible to run my recovery/ reformat disk on her computer. Mine is a Hewlett Packard and runs on Windows Me.  Would it conflict with her computer? Or would the intensity of her slowness be the server?

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Reformating
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2002, 08:30:52 AM »

What's the processor, and how much RAM is in the machine?  That can make a pretty huge difference....

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Unleashed

• View Profile
Reformating
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2002, 08:32:10 AM »

I don't know.. I do know it's older than shit tho.

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Unleashed

• View Profile
Reformating
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2002, 08:34:49 AM »

It took what said should be a 2 min download for an update on the internet explorer 6, 1hr and 45mins

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Reformating
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2002, 11:00:14 AM »

Quote from: Unleashed
It took what said should be a 2 min download for an update on the internet explorer 6, 1hr and 45mins
Yes, well that could depend greatly on a number of other factors.

The biggest of which would be the connection speed to the internet.  If you're talking a 56K line, then that's going to be about the norm (unfortunately).  This could be greatly compounded by other applications the machine may be running that are eating up bandwidth and other resources, that may not show up on a cursory examination.  I'd recommend downloading and installing Ad-Aware on that machine and running it, if nothing else to see if anything's running that may be sapping resources/bandwidth.  

The next thing to do is get rid of things like RealPlayer and Quicktime, or anything else that likes to stay memory resident.  Windows is a real systray whore when it comes to allowing other applications to put themselves in a permanent state of memory residence.  Granted, it's a problem that so many applications default to such a setting (usually under an innocuous name like "Do you want 'quickstart' enabled?"), but it's a bigger problem that Windows allows that kind of crap to begin with without the user's consent right off the bat.  So I'd take a look at those kinds of things too and make sure they're not tripping you up.

But for the most part it just sounds like it's an old, underpowered machine, straining to keep up in a world that has moved it into obsolescence.  Unfortunately that's an inevitability, especially over the past few years.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Unleashed

• View Profile
Reformating
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2002, 11:03:44 AM »

Thanks Demo for the advice. I'll give it another look over this week-end.

Netrack

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Reformating
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2002, 06:03:40 PM »

ok he got it for cheap, and its older than shit, what can u expect for an old piece of shit?

Unleashed

• View Profile
Reformating
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2002, 06:19:53 PM »

Quote from: Netrack

ok he got it for cheap, and its older than shit, what can u expect for an old piece of shit?
Something that someone isn't gonna expect me to be able perform magic with.