The Geek Forum

• May 16, 2024, 03:23:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129631
  • Total Topics: 7188
  • Online Today: 155
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Anybody here a pilot?  (Read 3086 times)

12AX7

Anybody here a pilot?
« on: January 09, 2008, 06:34:14 PM »

Is anyone here a pilot? Fixed or rotary. I'm seriously considering flight school, with the end objective being a commercial helicopter license. I know it's really expensive (over 20k), but I understood it to be a well-paying gig. However, I have come across some disheartening information; such as the pay for CFIs (Certified flight instructors) at one particular flight school in Hawaii as being up to 35k a year.
 35K ?????  If this is relatively "normal" pay; Im gonna just forget it. I make over 43K now working four nights a week- two of em from home. I couldnt take a cut that big.
  But I would SOOOOO love to learn to fly!
 Anyone have any experience in this area?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 06:36:50 PM by 12AX7 »

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
Re: Anybody here a pilot?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 07:01:45 PM »

Commercial pilots make decent money when they get to the large jet ratings for air carriers.  But basically, they need to be already trained in the air force (to get the hours) and then move up the ranks and suffer with the low pay for a decade or so.  Private flight instructors make nothing.  Training is expensive so if you're rich and want a hobby, go for it.  Career-wise probably not a wise idea at your age.

12AX7

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 08:01:44 PM »

That's what I'm finding out.

*disappointed*

Well, I'm definitely not rich, so I guess it's back to my rocking chair and flight sim.
 Shewt; it'd be cheaper to buy another couple of large plasma monitors and get the serious geek on about it.

whoa. Or something ilke this http://www.creativesimulations.com/FlightSim%20737NG.htm
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 08:22:01 PM by 12AX7 »

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +195/-45
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 09:05:34 PM »

Get an ultralight helicopter.
Singularity god is EVIL as
Creation reigns as Opposites.
Educators, and You - ought
to be killed for ignoring the
fact that "Earth is Cubed".
(ignored and suppressed by EVIL educators)

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 09:30:31 PM »

Careful 12.
If you give up now, you may find yourself in the second to last scene of a movie telling an enlightened young person what your dream used to be followed promptly by him telling you that it's not too late.
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

dcrog

• Banned on the run
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +253/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 01:57:27 PM »

Get an ultralight helicopter.

Be careful with that one too.  A man working for me years ago bought the kit.  Built it.  Then found out that he had to rent hangar space at the local airport if he ever flew it.

Old enough to know better.
Apparently not wise enough.

And who says with age come's wisdom?

12AX7

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 08:19:46 PM »

Why? Some sort of requirement? I was wondering what hassles the FAA would apply to an ultralite. I'm guessing if I took off from my property and went above a certain height; they'd fine me. Probably a height too low to fly under easily. There's an airstrip (as opposed to an airport) on the other side of the mountain Im on; he has a helicopter, then there's a small airport (with a tower, controller, beacon, etc) a few hills away - so there's not much of a chance of me being able to fly around undetected by some authority. Oh- there's also a US Army Ranger training base about seven miles away, too. There's Blackhawks, Apaches, and Huey's going over all the time; so there's yet another airfield.
  Did he just need the space to keep it, or they wouldn't let him bring it in and take off? That's not suprising, really. No authority is going to allow you to do ANYthing without somehow getting into your wallet first.

dcrog

• Banned on the run
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 08:30:06 AM »

Best I recall it was an FAA regulation.  I never understood why he had to keep it at the airport.  Probably has to do with flight plans and the like.  That's all one of those balckhawk's or apache's need is to run over some little microlight.   :-D

Swing by one of the airstrips and inquire.  Nothing to lose but some time.

Heck they might have something for sale.

dcrog

• Banned on the run
  • Hacker
    • View Profile

Leonidas

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +25/-6
  • Bad penny
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 03:00:48 AM »

I must say, I'm not a pilot, nor do I know much about aviation, so I won't be able to answer your question as you see fit.  But the way I see it, if God wanted you to fly, he would have miracled wings onto you.  Think about that, and I'll think about why I even bothered to type this out...