The Geek Forum

• April 29, 2024, 10:53:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129570
  • Total Topics: 7159
  • Online Today: 277
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Organ/Tissue Donor  (Read 3981 times)

12AX7

Organ/Tissue Donor
« on: June 20, 2008, 11:44:50 PM »

Personally, they can have whatever. It's not like I'm gonna be needing anything. I've heard some people who have a real issue with the idea, though, and not all are religion-based. I've also heard the "conspiracy theory" of delayed or withheld emergency services upon discovery of your donor status, etc.
  theFOO joked about it in another thread, then I was asked about it again today when I (finally) got my motorcycle license; and I began wondering what the general concensus here was about the whole idea of organ, tissue, and cadaver donation. Such things as if it makes a difference to you if they only want certain parts, or all teh parts, or if you'd donate your entire body; if it makes a difference to you if your remains (if donated) are used for medical purposes, or educational (science), etc.
  As for me, as I said above, I don't really care. There's probably not much they could actually use for medical purposes; but if they need something for med students to practice sawing on; I'm game. My eyes (had Lasik), my heart/lungs (I smoke two substances; sustained, and get very little aerobics exercise), my liver (I've eaten so much Vivarin, Ibuprofen, Aspirin, Goody's, and other assorted substances that I doubt it's healthy enough to survive an Xplant), my tissues ( @40yo, my tissues aren't currently in any shape to help ANYone...  unless they want a pulled hamstring or inflamed illiotibial band; take it).
  As for the emergency services being witheld, etc; I should probably just post that in "The Absolutely Stupidest Thing I've Heard In a While"  thread.  It's a ridiculous notion to start with; on top of being currently totally impossible.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
Re: Organ/Tissue Donor
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 06:19:14 AM »

No offense, but um, if you smoke, they don't want your organs. It kind of... defeats the purpose. I suppose you could write it in to your living will that you want your organs to go to science if you really wanted to be charitable though. They would love that.  :-P

Anyway, I'm an organ donor, I will happily sign a DNR, and what they don't use I want to be cremated. Cemeteries are too damn crowded these days anyway.

As for that whole delayed emergency services thing...
...  It's a ridiculous notion to start with...
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

livingeek

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +3/-4
    • View Profile
    • LivinGeek
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 11:55:19 AM »

I'm not an organ donor, but I don't really have any good reason not to be.  While I'm not religious I am spiritual and just feel that all of me should be put in the ground when I'm gone.  I doubt that my organs would be much use by the time I am through with them.  Also I plan on having a green funeral so I'd rather have all parts of me involved in it.  I know I won't really care when I'm dead, but I guess it's more of a I want this for myself while I have a choice in the matter. 

With that said I would change my mind if I got something like A.L.S. or Parkinsons.  Then I believe my body could be used for something within science to go ahead and poke around to figure something out. 

The_FOO

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +61/-3
  • irc.hyperion.org:6667 #hn
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hyperion.org
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 01:07:16 PM »

I'm a donor as well. As I see it, if I'm done using it, someone else might as well. I'm also planning on being cremated, or possibly mulched.

The reason I made the donor wise crack in the thread about your new bike is that statistically you're more likely to be seriously injured/killed on a bike. A friend of mine who was an EMT in NYC calls them donorcycles. :-)

All this may become a moot point if Ray Kurzweil's singularity theories come to pass. On top of all that various trends in bio/chem/genetic research are pointing toward a future of replacement parts or even whole bodies. It's more than likely that within the next 5-20 years huge advances in medical science are going to occur that will blow our minds.
http://www.errorfm.com/efm.pls
More FOOlish than you'll ever be.

livingeek

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +3/-4
    • View Profile
    • LivinGeek
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 03:07:51 PM »

Your comment on Kurzweil's theory made me think of the article below.  Looks like they are already looking into uploading a rats brain.  Obviously that's a less complex mind than a human's, but it's a nice first step. 

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/opinion/death/mg19626251.800-death-special-the-plan-for-eternal-life.html?feedId=death_rss20

12AX7

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 03:10:30 PM »

The reason I made the donor wise crack in the thread about your new bike is that statistically you're more likely to be seriously injured/killed on a bike. A friend of mine who was an EMT in NYC calls them donorcycles. :-)
Oh, I got that, lol. I basically grew old hanging with the biker crowd; the Harley/Indian cruiser culture. I know five people (two of which were a couple) who've died in motorcycle accidents; and a few more injured and one crippled from the waist down. He spends his life in a wheelchair in bars now; staying either roasted on his meds or toasty drunk or both. He's a great guy, but he kept running over my footpedal onstage when we were playing there and unplugging my guitar. By accident, of course; and we never said anything about it because he was just headbanging and rocking out; causing the chair to roll this way and that, lol.
  Anyway; I lolled at your joke, but I thought it might make a good thread; since not everyone will just post (or think) "me too."

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 04:33:25 PM »

I'm not so much of an organ donor rather than an organ lender.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

AppleJax

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 06:43:03 PM »

wow, what about being an organ trader? Like trading 1/2 a lung for a second liver?

I have actually worked on cadavers before, shortly after which I decided that ditch my medical career and go into business. I don't think I'd be okay being a cadaver- I think it would be difficult for anyone I left behind. Regardless, I am an organ donor because it is really important and I'll have no use for any of it. 

12AX7

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 06:58:26 PM »

Top in the morning, do ya! I mean..  Top of the morning to ya!  :-D

The_FOO

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 09:20:06 PM »

Oh, I got that, lol. I basically grew old hanging with the biker crowd; the Harley/Indian cruiser culture. I know five people (two of which were a couple) who've died in motorcycle accidents; and a few more injured and one crippled from the waist down. He spends his life in a wheelchair in bars now; staying either roasted on his meds or toasty drunk or both. He's a great guy, but he kept running over my footpedal onstage when we were playing there and unplugging my guitar. By accident, of course; and we never said anything about it because he was just headbanging and rocking out; causing the chair to roll this way and that, lol.
  Anyway; I lolled at your joke, but I thought it might make a good thread; since not everyone will just post (or think) "me too."

Ouch... :-( That sucketh.

12AX7

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 09:25:54 PM »

Ouch... :-( That sucketh.

Nah. I'd just plug back in, everybody'd chuckle, and we kep on rockin'.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 09:31:39 PM »

I have actually worked on cadavers before

So have I, and the trial afterwards was the talk of the town!
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The_FOO

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 09:44:23 PM »

Nah. I'd just plug back in, everybody'd chuckle, and we kep on rockin'.

I meant the dead people, but whatever. :-)

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 08:05:20 AM »

I don't want my organs touching some sick guy.
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 03:03:33 PM »

I'm an organ donor.  Once I transcend this body and become an all-powerful entity of pure energy and thought, I won't be needing this filthy meatsack anymore.  I'll be ruling the world from my mile high fortress of power and causing the rest of the lower lifeforms of this puny planet to shudder and hide from my wrath.

EDIT:
To add the bit about ruling the world.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 03:06:33 PM by Demosthenes »

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

12AX7

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 03:39:49 PM »

lol

"So you rule the World???"

"Yeh. It was kind of an afterthought, actually."