The Geek Forum

• May 09, 2024, 10:48:55 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129621
  • Total Topics: 7185
  • Online Today: 154
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Beast with a Billion Backs: Belay Buying, But Browse Bountifully  (Read 1658 times)

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile

I happened to peruse the new Futurama straight to DVD movie - Beast With A Billion Backs.  It takes place immediately after the last one, Bender's Big Score, although the only carryover from that movie is the gigantic crack in space that appeared at the very end.  I don't want to spoil anything, so I won't give my opinion on anything storywise, except that Bender's Big Score ends with a giant crack in space.  I will say that the thing that makes (present tense!) Futurama great, and maybe the best show ever, Simpsons notwithstanding, is not just the geeky jokes, the one liners, the characters, or the setting.  It's that it has all those things along with heart.  Beast With A Billion Backs is passable Futurama.  If it had aired during the show's TV run, especially during the slightly down 3rd season, it would have fit right in.  However, episodes like The Sting, Luck of the Fryish, and especially the classic Jurrasic Bark, have set a high standard for the show.  And while I would put Bender's Big Score in the same company, Beast With A Billion Backs doesn't quite measure up.  It's got the geek jokes, the characters, and especially the one-liners, but the heart feels phony, forced, or in some other way less than genuine.
Verdict:  It's ok for Futurama, which makes it better than almost any other show you could spend your time watching.  Compared to other Futurama, it's not as good.  Watch it when it comes on Comedy Central, but save your $20.

-Joe (still crying after remembering Jurassic Bark.  Thanks Joe)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 07:22:46 PM by Joe Sixpack »
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
Re: Beast with a Billion Backs: Belay Buying, But Browse Bountifully
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 12:41:25 PM »

I love Futurama . . .

All I can say is in my mind the story ended a long time ago and while I like seeing all the characters and hearing the (OK) jokes in the movies, the story will never (and in the case of Bender's Big Score, Didn't) measure up. Part of me would be content with the movies never being made but as Joe said, OK for futurama is still better than most anything else on television.

Ride the walrus.
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Zwillinge

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +14/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Beast with a Billion Backs: Belay Buying, But Browse Bountifully
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 05:26:14 PM »

I watched this with high hopes after Benders Big Score, which I did adore and love! Yet, as mentioned, there was something definately lacking and the second half of it kind of went down hill for me, it had imagination, just was not what I was expecting, if that makes any sense.

And on a list of awesome Futurama episodes, I include The Farnsworth Parabox!  :-) (I can't do sweet linky things!)