The Geek Forum

• May 14, 2024, 08:06:37 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129631
  • Total Topics: 7188
  • Online Today: 191
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Recording (not "ripping") Audio Streams  (Read 1457 times)

12AX7

Recording (not "ripping") Audio Streams
« on: January 02, 2009, 03:00:19 AM »

I'm wondering what - if any- laws apply to 'old-school-style' recording audio from a stream. Basically, it's the same setup as you used to use to record songs from the radio; except I use a HDD instead of a cassette tape. I have one pc streaming, the audio goes through my board, and the other pc just records the stream 'real-time'. I understand I'm obtaining a digital copy of said audio; but not through downloading. To me, it seems no different than having a cassette on standby and hitting "Record" when you hear a song (other than the digital copy issue). Anyone hear of any cases such as this?

Although it seems perfectly legal (and it USED to be; not sure now) I feel sure it would be frowned upon and possibly be determined to be illegal. Can you imagine if this is the case? Prosecution of persons for recording free streams... 

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
Re: Recording (not "ripping") Audio Streams
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 09:56:33 AM »

Gut feeling - yes, it's illegal, but not so much DMCA as NET Act.  I would also guess that there's never been a court decision regarding a specific case like this, and until there is it will be at least nominally a gray area.

As for recording "free streams", satellite TV companies beam assload of streams all over your yard every day, and the availability of them certainly has nothing to do with the legality of grabbing them for yourself...

I've always said legal and illegal have nothing to do with what's right or wrong, and this is probably a good example.
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

12AX7

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 02:11:46 PM »

Gut feeling - yes, it's illegal, but not so much DMCA as NET Act.  I would also guess that there's never been a court decision regarding a specific case like this, and until there is it will be at least nominally a gray area.
  That reads more like anti- "distribution" than "simple possession". Everything seems written as if "infringement" == "distribution"; and this Act addresses distribution sans compensation. I didn't see anything suggesting prosecution for having a library of MP3s (and NOT sharing them) recorded from a stream; although I'm sure -like you said- as soon as that would come to their attention it would be illegal immediately.
  I wonder if I could create a "loophole" of my own (like LaMacchia in the wiki) by recording it first to analog tape; and then transferring it back to the digital domain. I'd be circumventing any 'digital' clauses acquiring it. Then, I'd simply be creating a digital file from an analog copy I "already" have. Same as anyone who put their cassette collections, or vinyl, into MP3.
  Don't mind me; I'm just pondering. :-D 

As for recording "free streams", satellite TV companies beam assload of streams all over your yard every day, and the availability of them certainly has nothing to do with the legality of grabbing them for yourself...
  Those 'require' a paid subscription to receive and translate. An internet radio stream does not. Admittedly, I'm modeling my ideas about this on FCC regs concerning radio broadcasts, so they may be totally non-applicable. I'm sort of equating those SatTV streams (and other, subscription-required signals) with XM and Sirrius , and internet radio streams with AM/FM radio.

I've always said legal and illegal have nothing to do with what's right or wrong
  concur

dcrog

• Banned on the run
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +253/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 02:21:57 PM »

You could check at this place:

http://www.doom9.org/

I haven't visited in quite a while but look in their forums or join them.  I'm pretty confident you'll find the droids you are looking for.

Old enough to know better.
Apparently not wise enough.

And who says with age come's wisdom?

12AX7

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 02:42:30 PM »

*bookmarked*

Thanks, hoss.