The Geek Forum

• May 09, 2024, 08:18:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129621
  • Total Topics: 7185
  • Online Today: 154
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Meteoritic Bullshit  (Read 3558 times)

12AX7

Meteoritic Bullshit
« on: June 12, 2009, 05:02:16 PM »

Toughskins

O...k. I'm gonna have to call bullshit on this one. They are claiming that a meteor(ite) actually HIT this kid's hand, BOUNCED off, and dug a foot long crater in the ROAD.

WHAAAAAAT?

Let me see if I got this right:  a meteor enters the atmosphere; burns down to pea sized and is traveling approximately 30,000 miles per hour; somehow strikes this kid, but doesn't even break the skin- just "bounces off", but still has the velocity to dig a foot long crater in an asphalt road.
  If this was indeed true; shouldn't they be cloning this kid for his skin properties? I mean, to withstand a 30,000 mph impact with a white-hot chunk of space rock and not even tear a small hole? That's some pretty tough stuff! I'd love a pair of boots made from this kid's hide.

RelandR

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +91/-4
  • This portion of the page intentionally left blank
    • View Profile
Re: Meteoritic Bullshit
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 01:41:44 AM »

On the other hand, He did get a scar ... from something.

Maybe this:

"Clearly it was a fiero-class ufo. The engine caught fire and the whole thing blew up, sending shrapnel down to the ground. The lack of important details simply points to a coverup."

from the comment section,  over here

12AX7

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 08:29:53 AM »

After reading several different articles, I'll concede that it's possible one could be struck by a meteor the size of which is shown in the pictures and survive; in fact, not be hurt very much at all. This would be because the object would have to be at terminal velocity (probably around < 200mph) rather than the preposterous 30,000 mph claimed. I still don't believe the boy was struck by the meteor; more likely (if this story has a grain of truth) he was hit by shrapnel ejected upon impact of the meteorite on the ground.
   A claim of being narrowly missed by a meteor and injured by it's shrapnel would be much more plausible than the current claim.
  Of course, this was first reported in a German tabloid likened to the National Enquirer or the Sun. So, there's that...

also:  I <3 Comments sections! :-D

RelandR

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +91/-4
  • This portion of the page intentionally left blank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 02:35:03 PM »

However, the way the story is reported almost certainly has some of its facts wrong.
from bad astronomy blog

... yeah, hate table-oids.

Grains o' truth transformed into bushes o' bullshit.

CranesNotSkyHooks

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +1/-1
  • W00t
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 02:21:52 AM »

:lol:Makes perfect sense!