The Geek Forum

• May 09, 2024, 05:33:31 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129620
  • Total Topics: 7184
  • Online Today: 140
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: What happened at court today. . .  (Read 1905 times)

12AX7

What happened at court today. . .
« on: April 20, 2010, 11:09:57 PM »

w00t!! I LOVE my lawyer! She was 20 minutes late; at first I thought very nasty things about her (since the last time I employed a lawyer, he basically just took the money and let the chips fall wherever) and figured she'd got my cash and was just going to leave me hanging. Nope.

She comes cruising in and sits down, asks me if the judge was in his chambers. I told her there was a whole herd of law people back in there. She goes back; and in about five minutes comes out, gets her keys and umbrella, "C'mon. Let's go."

I followed her out the court room door, and she tells me I have a $200 fine for "Driving too fast for conditions" and court costs ($93). No points off my license (which I thought I would lose completely!) and the "Leaving the Scene/Hit and Run" was all thrown out. DISmissed.

You guys have no idea the relief I felt. I was up for and/either/or  30 days in jail, revoked license, who knows how much in fines, and possibly probation; and the experiences I have had in the Criminally Injustice System have shown me to expect the worst; then prepare for worse than that - ESPECIALLY if you're a decent, normally law-abiding, tax-paying citizen. So to have her even SEEM like she was "on my side" was cool... to have her kill that crap and leave me with just a $293 ticket was utterly awesome.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
Re: What happened at court today. . .
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 01:07:47 AM »

Totally cool!
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 01:30:31 AM »

Kick ass!

Socrates

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +123/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 07:01:58 AM »

that is awesome,  when lawyers work out for you it is great, sucks to be in a position where you need one however.

And congrats on your truck find in the other thread.
--this space intentionally left blank--

No

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +14/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 02:32:57 PM »

Even though I don't know what has happened to you... that is pretty groovy.
Seems like having a lawyer sort things out is not as bad as I thought.
Me and my family were thinking about getting one when my father was up for a revoked license for one month, 4 points on the license and a fine of 500 Euro. Thinking back now...we probably should've asked a lawyer.  :|

12AX7

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 03:07:09 PM »

Even though I don't know what has happened to you... that is pretty groovy.
Seems like having a lawyer sort things out is not as bad as I thought.

I encountered one of our Highway Patrol officers. That's about all that needs to happen to get yourself really screwed over. Bunch of power-tripping, government-backed Brown shirt bullies. Nearly ALL of our law enforcement is nowadays. I can remember when a Police Officer was due respect just for the position; but they usually always EARNED it anyway. Serve and Protect; not Intimidate to Incarcerate. Today is very, very different. You are GUILTY of something; and HE KNOWS YOU ARE -  he just has to come up with a way to prove it. ( you'll be informed of what you are 'guilty' of at the jail ). No longer are you innocent until proven guilty. No longer can you help an officer investigate; you'd better remain TOTALLY SILENT. Remember:  Anything that you say CAN and WILL be used against you in Court.  What they leave out is that anything you say EXPRESSLY CANNOT be used to HELP you in Court; as it will be ruled "hearsay". The officers know this, and know that you are most likely UNAWARE of it; and will harass, intimidate, trick, and bully you into talking - then use what you told them (trying to help and/or be honest) to hammer your balls to the back seat of the patrol car. You're going to jail; thanks for the help. Never mind that the entire process here is bullshit; he knows it will be dismissed in Court - but he "got you". He'll parade you thru the jail and talk down and insult and degrade you in front of his 'brothers' and 'sisters' as they process you for incarceration; treating and addressing you as if you were some serial child rapist who ate his victims.

- oh; by the way, I fell asleep on the 50 mile drive home from work ( a 10 hour shift over night alone in front of a computer ) and ran off the road wrecking my truck. No one else was involved, no other vehicle, person, property. My truck was still in the highway right-of-way, and off the roadway (not blocking anything). I was fine; no injury, so I collected my valuables, called a cab, and got home. Immediately went to the phone and called the State Highway Patrol and the County Sheriff's Office (NON-Emergency numbers - not 911) to tell them about the wreck and to arrange to meet an officer out there for my ticket (I knew I was guilty of falling asleep while driving = $money and 4 points) and the accident report to turn in to my insurance. Before making the arrangement and while still on the phone with the Sheriff's Dept., a Sheriff's Deputy was at my door. Apparently they already found the truck and had sent him to my home to try to find me. I had no idea that they already made the decision that I was a criminal and were going to arrest me. The deputy hauled me back out to the wreck site where the Highway Patrol took over. He would ask me a question, then upon my answer tell me I was lying, and that 'it just dont add up". He went on several times that I was lying and so forth; then told me I was going to jail. I was jailed for several hours until I made my own bail, then had to hire a lawyer to defend myself from this bullshit.
   This is not the first time Ive experienced this sort of bullshit from our law enforcement, either. In fact; its like that nearly every time; and I cop NO attitude with them; Im always, "Yes, sir. Yes, sir."

...anyway. Now Im all ill again. >: |

« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 03:12:14 PM by 12AX7 »

12AX7

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »

... I forgot to mention - he charged me with
  Hit and Run / Leaving the Scene of an Accident
 and
  Failure to Maintain Lane

No

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 03:30:29 PM »

Wow.

Understandable that you got a lawyer in that case. Would've done the same, especially since I can't see how you did anything wrong after wrecking the truck. I would've done the exact same thing, I suppose.

Seems like police officers have been transforming into assholes for some time now everywhere.
The thing that happened to my family wasn't half as dramatic, I guess. Just slightly drunk driving on a totally empty road at night. The driver was 0.1 per mil over the amount that is allowed. Was caught by police officers who picked random people [or in that case, we were the only people that were actually there]. So...actually just bad luck.

They refused to drive us home or at least get our car that was in the middle of the road [a road with no lights - so the next car would have most likely run into it] out of the way or anything. But still they emphasized that 'they only want to help us'.

12AX7

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 03:38:09 PM »

I might also point out that I have no issues or "problems" with Authority. I spent 10 years in the US Army.

**edit - cos I said it wasn't to brag; but I'm kinda buzzin' and ran with it... and as it turns out (reads back) I WAS bragging!  :oops: :-P
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 03:53:12 PM by 12AX7 »

No

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 03:48:09 PM »

Right, perhaps not.

I, however, only have problems with authorities when they abuse their authority. :P *
Which apparently was the case in your case.

EDIT:

* Wait...I guess no one likes that...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 03:49:55 PM by No »

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 05:31:34 PM »

...anyway. Now Im all ill again. >: |

What a nightmare.

I guess cops all over really hate it when people leave the scene of an accident. I did jury duty on a hit-and-run case. The defendant was an independent truck driver whose rear wheel tore the door off a woman's car when she opened it into traffic. She was dragged a few feet, scratched and bruised and very shaken, of course. The driver had no idea this happened and kept going. Thing is, this occurred on a very congested, narrow stretch of highway at rush hour. The truck was going maybe 15 mph tops, so when bystanders saw that it wasn't stopping, they chased it down at a stop light and told the driver what happened. The driver said ok, he'll deal with it, and proceeded through the light. As it happens, I know that stretch of road intimately. I dropped our son off at school every day for a year in that neighborhood. There is nowhere to stop a rig without tying up traffic, so the only way the driver could return to the scene is to go 3 blocks north to a main intersection, turn right, and right again, and hope to find a place to stop somewhere nearby. Which is exactly what he did: he turned right at the major intersection, but before he could turn right again, a couple motorcycle cops flagged him down and arrested him for leaving the scene of an accident, felonious hit-and-run. Unbelievably, it took a jury to acquit him.

I'm glad you have good counsel, 12, and I hope the nightmare fades rapidly.

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.

12AX7

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 08:53:39 PM »

They say when you leave; it sets them off assuming you were intoxicated, switching drivers, or removing contraband from the scene. I can understand that.
 What I can't understand is why not find out what's going on first; instead of just slinging bodies into jails and letting it get hashed out in court. Isn't part of their job to find out what's going on before taking an appropriate action? I told him on the scene I had just talked to the State Patrol and the Sheriff's Dept on the phone. He has a radio and a cell phone. It was HIS RADIO DISPATCHER that I talked to. Why couldn't he verify that on the scene? What he did instead was tell me that No, I didn't call, either, then asked me  "What 'highway patrol'??"
 I said... "Um... (trying hard not to sound like a smartass) the Georgia State Highw-"

"I KNOW GEORGIA STATE!!!!!! WHAT POST????"

"I-i dont know, it said Lumpkin county..."

"NO YOU DIDN'T!! THERE AINT ONE IN LUMPKIN COUNTY!!!"

"Sir, I'm just stating what it said in the phone book..."

"IT DON'T SAY THAT!!! THERE AINT ONE IN LUMPKIN!!"

...and so on and so forth. You get the idea.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 10:07:24 PM by 12AX7 »

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 09:11:10 PM »

Isn't part of their job to find out what's going on before taking an appropriate action?

Yes.

...and so on and so forth. You get the idea.

Yes.