The Geek Forum

• April 28, 2024, 03:10:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129553
  • Total Topics: 7150
  • Online Today: 189
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wait, what? Phyre's still alive? and his first post back is about Linux? A$$hole  (Read 5474 times)

Banshee

• Geek
  • Coolio Points: +106/-3
  • Baby-Eater
    • View Profile
    • A Shadow Priest

I kind of want to switch to Linux after reading that rant, Demo.

Think I could dual boot it and ask some questions if I needed help? I'm not ready to jump in with both feet quite yet.

Linux Mint, here I come tomorrow!
"Dear pete, lol. U r dum." - Bobert

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo

I kind of want to switch to Linux after reading that rant, Demo.

Think I could dual boot it and ask some questions if I needed help? I'm not ready to jump in with both feet quite yet.

Linux Mint, here I come tomorrow!

Sweet!  Sure, I'll be happy to answer questions.  I think if a lot more people just gave a good distro like Mint a decent try, they'd find that it's a lot better and a lot easier than they'd been led to believe.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

phyre

• My Space Emo Attention Whore
  • Coolio Points: +14/-1
    • View Profile
    • http://morningphyre.com

Yeah, I'm not bold enough to drop Windows quite yet myself, Banshee- dual boot is a little like training wheels, you keep it on for a while and when you get your balance you let it go.

And it was far easier than I'd been led to believe, especially in light of my last foray into the great penguin's territory.

"Together we are what we can't be alone" -Dropkick Murphys

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo

One big hurdle for newbies to the Linux world are apps.  Anymore, it's not so much the lack of them (equivalents to apps you use in Windows), as much as it is there are too many of them.

And they're not all named very descriptively.

Who, among the uninitiated from the Windows world, knows what the hell to do with apps like "Gwibber", "Brasero", "Conky", "PCManFM", "Arora", "Transmission", "Sylpheed", or any other rather obtuse-sounding applications?

Trust me, however... if there's something you do in Windows, there is almost ALWAYS an equivalent in the Linux world, and in a lot of cases you have MORE choices there, and often they're even better than the way you're used to doing it.

If you need to figure out what's what for something, just ask.  A simple question, like "Hey, what music player should I be looking at?" or "what's a good, lightweight image editor?" will usually result in a couple of good suggestions and save you some digging and trial-and-error.  :)

Banshee

• Geek
  • Coolio Points: +106/-3
  • Baby-Eater
    • View Profile
    • A Shadow Priest

One big hurdle for newbies to the Linux world are apps.  Anymore, it's not so much the lack of them (equivalents to apps you use in Windows), as much as it is there are too many of them.

And they're not all named very descriptively.

Who, among the uninitiated from the Windows world, knows what the hell to do with apps like "Gwibber", "Brasero", "Conky", "PCManFM", "Arora", "Transmission", "Sylpheed", or any other rather obtuse-sounding applications?

Trust me, however... if there's something you do in Windows, there is almost ALWAYS an equivalent in the Linux world, and in a lot of cases you have MORE choices there, and often they're even better than the way you're used to doing it.

If you need to figure out what's what for something, just ask.  A simple question, like "Hey, what music player should I be looking at?" or "what's a good, lightweight image editor?" will usually result in a couple of good suggestions and save you some digging and trial-and-error.  :)

Sounds good. I'll create a thread when I actually pull the trigger on it.

I assume all of the basic low-level stuff necessary to run the hardware is preloaded in the distro? i.e. I don't need to locate device drivers for my hard drive and such before starting the install process?
"Dear pete, lol. U r dum." - Bobert

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo

Unless you're running some really screwy hardware, nope.  Everything should pretty much work out of the box.

Pages: 1 [2]