The Geek Forum

• May 11, 2024, 12:23:22 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 158
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Hosting Websites  (Read 4701 times)

HeavyJay

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +72/-1
  • Gorn Tamer
    • View Profile
Hosting Websites
« on: May 26, 2003, 04:33:59 PM »

Okay, I'm a complete idiot in this regard.

How does one host a website from his or her own box?  I've got an Apache server up, but all I use it for is impressing other dorks and getting to my MP3s from work :P

If I wanted to host a website, where would I begin?  I've no clue how to configure Apache to use a domain I own or how much bandwidth I need, etc etc.  Help?   :?:

:EDIT:  By the way, I know this is easy task.  Didn't want to look like a n00b.
"Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!" -- JR "Bob" Dobbs

Anonymous

Hosting Websites
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2003, 05:37:31 PM »

To set it up, you need to edit the config file, which is a text file that you open in notepad or some other text editor, make the changes to it, save it, and then restart Apache. Access the config file by going to Start > Programs > Apache > config (or something like that) for Windows-based machines.

In that file will be most of the stuff that you will need to change. The hardest part would be getting a domain name pointing to your IP adress instead of having to memorize your IP address. I would reccomend using DyDNS to make things easier by avoiding DNS settings on your box.

HeavyJay

• Hacker
  • Gorn Tamer
    • View Profile
Hosting Websites
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2003, 05:43:30 PM »

I use DynDNS simply because it's free and I don't want to remember my IP.  But, it gives you a subdomain rather than allowing you to have your own domain point at your IP.  

I know how to configure Apache, but I have no clue how to have the main page be a webpage rather than a directory, if you follow me.

Anonymous

Hosting Websites
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2003, 05:46:54 PM »

Creat a file named "index.html" and put that in the directory that appears when you go to your default Apache site. Most likely there isn't an index file in there.

HeavyJay

• Hacker
  • Gorn Tamer
    • View Profile
Hosting Websites
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2003, 05:51:30 PM »

That makes sense.  Will it recognize, say, index.php rather than .html?

Anonymous

Hosting Websites
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2003, 05:53:35 PM »

Quote from: HeavyJay
That makes sense.  Will it recognize, say, index.php rather than .html?

Assuming that you have PHP installed so it can execute the code, all you'll need to do is go through the config file and look for the option about the default index file for the directories. I wish I could give you some key words to look for in the config file, but I don't remember any, and it isn't installed on any machines on the network here. I'm pretty sure it's about mid-way through the file though. :wink:

HeavyJay

• Hacker
  • Gorn Tamer
    • View Profile
Hosting Websites
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2003, 05:56:20 PM »

Ahh, found it.  It's already configured to accept an "index.php" page.

Code: [Select]
# DirectoryIndex: Name of the file or files to use as a pre-written HTML
# directory index.  Separate multiple entries with spaces.
#
DirectoryIndex index.htm index.html index.php default.htm default.html

I'm going to buy one of the new O'Reilly books on the Apache server when I get some money in, then I'll not need to bug people anymore :D

Anonymous

Hosting Websites
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2003, 05:59:08 PM »

The more "difficult" stuff comes when installing things like Perl and PHP. Although not hard to install, they take more time to intergrate with Apache than the install of Apache itself. MySQL is easy to install as it's completly seperate from the rest of them.

HeavyJay

• Hacker
  • Gorn Tamer
    • View Profile
Hosting Websites
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2003, 06:00:33 PM »

Okay, I've got it to work.  It's now the same as my homepage.  When I get some time, I'll put all the files from the website in there and it'll be sound as a pound.

revmoo

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.revmoo.org
Hosting Websites
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2003, 07:33:42 PM »

It really doesn't take much to host  your own site. I run  a webserver on an old 100mhz headless machine, and it handles it just fine. Really, the only limitation is your bandwidth, something that cable/dsl modems tend to not have a lot of.
It's the queers, they're in it with the aliens. They're building landing strips for gay martians I swear to God.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Hosting Websites
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2003, 09:12:58 AM »

revmoo, you're a linux geek.  Is it possible to share a FAT32 drive with a network on a Linux box?

I tried, but couldn't figure it out.  I installed Mandrake 9.1 on the primary hard drive of a machine, but the secondary drive (the FAT32 one) had like 8 gigs of stuff on it that I wanted to be able to access over my home network with my laptop.

However, Mandrake wouldn't let me share that FAT32 drive no matter what I did.  It mounted it just fine, but it was basically a read-only drive.  When I tried changing ownership or permissions on it, it just wouldn't let me do it, even while rooted.  :?:

I finally gave up last weekend and reinstalled Windows 2000 on the primary drive, and moved everything off of the FAT32 drive and into a shared folder on the Win2k drive.  I'm planning on reinstalling Mandrake on my secondary and dual-booting, but it still bugs me that I wasn't able to share a non-linux drive with it.  It seems like I should have been able to, but I couldn't get it to work after two days of fucking with it.

BTW, I did have Samba running, and I understand how it works and everything, and how to set it up.  According to everything I read, I was doing everything correctly, it just wasn't cooperating.

*shrugs*

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

revmoo

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
Hosting Websites
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2003, 10:34:08 AM »

Ok, so if I understand correctly, the problem you are having lies with Samba.

I hate samba, it never seems to work right for me, and what works one day will magically stop working the next.

My solution? Use NFS. It's simple, works on windows and linux(though you need to use third party software, which isn't hard to find), and doesn't have weird quirks like samba.

If you are hellbent on using samba, you could try using SWAT(samba web administration tool). There is usually a package for it for most distros, and makes setting up samba just a few clicks.
It's the queers, they're in it with the aliens. They're building landing strips for gay martians I swear to God.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Hosting Websites
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2003, 02:21:49 PM »

Quote from: revmoo
Ok, so if I understand correctly, the problem you are having lies with Samba.

I hate samba, it never seems to work right for me, and what works one day will magically stop working the next.

My solution? Use NFS. It's simple, works on windows and linux(though you need to use third party software, which isn't hard to find), and doesn't have weird quirks like samba.

If you are hellbent on using samba, you could try using SWAT(samba web administration tool). There is usually a package for it for most distros, and makes setting up samba just a few clicks.
Well, I thought it might be a Samba thing, but I thought NFS didn't work for sharing files with Windows machines (which my laptop is).

Samba did seem kinda flakey... I had a shared folder on my Linux drive that I was able to get to from my Win2K laptop for about five minutes at one point.  I said "w00t!  It works!" and went and took a shower.  When I finished with my shower, got dried off and dressed, the folder was no longer shared, and no amount of cussing, swearing, rebooting, or playing with Samba could get it to share it with the network ever again.

It really pissed me off... talk about frustrating.  :evil:

So you think maybe when I reinstall Mandrake, I should just dispense with Samba to begin with (like not even install it), and just try the NFS option alone?

Hey, thanks for the advice, btw.  You don't even know me, and here I am grilling you on Linux knowledge!  :P

I'm actually pretty familiar with Unix and Linux... this is my first foray into trying to network it though and that Samba thing really threw me for a loop with how uncooperative it was being.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

HeavyJay

• Hacker
  • Gorn Tamer
    • View Profile
Hosting Websites
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2003, 02:41:16 PM »

revmoo, I also require assistance.  I was trying to install Redhat 7 on my machine, but the install program wouldn't recognize the drives.  How do I use Partition Magic to make a drive out of my free space?

</n00b>

revmoo

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
Hosting Websites
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2003, 02:54:13 PM »

No idea,

1. Partition magic is garbage(yeah, it fried months of data and a couple thousand mp3s a while back so I am a little biased)

2. What are you trying to do? E.g., install redhat on a new drive, or do you have a spare partition that you want to put it on?

As far as not detecting drives at all.......thats pretty strange, are you using scsi or ide raid?

HeavyJay

• Hacker
  • Gorn Tamer
    • View Profile
Hosting Websites
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2003, 03:14:45 PM »

I'm using IDE, and it recognizes no free space whatsover.  Why?  I don't know.

revmoo

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
Hosting Websites
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2003, 03:22:41 PM »

Well then, I'm assuming there is no free space because you have a single partition using 100% of the drive(which is quite normal).

You need to repartition to make at least one partition for linux.

You can try and use partition magic in windows to make the windows partition a few gigs smaller, or you can re-fdisk the drive, thus losing all your data.

(like I said, I don't trust partition magic, so back up your files first if you do that.)

once you have shrunk the windows partition to say 60% of the drive, then you just go back to the redhat installer and make a linux partition in the remaining 40%.

(you might have a look at the program 'fips' I don't think it works for NTFS drives, but I know it can resize fat32, and I've had some success with it, it is pretty easy to use though it is a dos program.)

Anonymous

Hosting Websites
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2003, 03:29:47 PM »

Use Norton Ghost (Ghostpe.exe) to make a ghost images of your drive, save that somewhere else, not on that same drive, and then fdisk and repartition it. After you've got your Windows partition formatted, dump the ghost image on that partition and you're all set in that region.

HeavyJay

• Hacker
  • Gorn Tamer
    • View Profile
Hosting Websites
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2003, 03:30:34 PM »

Thanks a lot :D  I'll be sure to do that over teh weekend.