The Geek Forum

• May 29, 2024, 05:40:02 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129672
  • Total Topics: 7209
  • Online Today: 129
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: face/off  (Read 1781 times)

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
face/off
« on: November 27, 2002, 10:40:26 AM »

I thought this article was kind of cool and kind of scary at the same time... cool in that if you get into a horrible accident or a fire or something, this would mean that you wouldn't have to walk around the rest of your life with your face a mass of hideous scar tissue... but scary in that you would instead be walking around with the face of someone else entirely... creepy!
Full face transplants are no longer science fiction fantasy, a leading surgeon has said, adding that they are technically feasible but ethically complex.

Peter Butler from London's Royal Free Hospital on Wednesday called for a debate on the ethics of such an operation made possible by new drugs which stop the body's immune system rejecting a transplanted face.

The British Association of Plastic Surgeons holds its Winter meeting on Wednesday and will discuss the microsurgical procedure, which could give new skin, bone, nose, chin, lips and ears from deceased donors to patients disfigured by accidents, burns or cancer.

Butler said one of the possible techniques would see a "skin envelope" of fat, skin and blood vessels transplanted onto existing bone, leaving patients with many of their own features.

But in an echo of the sci-fi thriller "Face Off", another more complex procedure would transplant underlying bone as well, so the patient would end up resembling the donor.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Anonymous

face/off
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2002, 12:11:21 PM »

Hey! Good looking poor people can engage in face trading business with the richer, uglier people. It would be quite profitable.

Or you could kidnapp someone, steal their face, commit a crime, stick their face back on and frame them. Ohhh yeah! The criminal master mind at work! Hey! That's what it should say under my profile: "Criminal Master Mind". Well... Sarcastic whore is probably more appropriate...

Anonymous

face/off
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2002, 12:24:15 PM »

Or you could just do like what they did in the movie "Mrs. Doubtfire" where they made a mask that looked rather life like. Simply make one that looks like the person you want to frame, commit the crime, and take the mask off. (NOTE: There are many other factors that you would need to think about before doing such a thing)

Daria

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +2/-0
    • View Profile
face/off
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2002, 12:43:10 PM »

I imagine that Jacko is making some calls by now.

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
face/off
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2002, 12:52:59 PM »

Quote from: Daria
I imagine that Jacko is making some calls by now.

I'm pretty sure that thing is beyond repair.
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points